Thursday, June 23, 2011

Scream to Scream, Scene by Scene: SCENE 24 of Scream 2 (1:12:08-1:14:54)

In this project I attempt to review the entire Scream trilogy scene by scene in chronological order. Heavy spoilers and gore throughout!



SCENE 24 of Scream 2
Length: 2min 46secs
Primary Characters: Gale Weathers, Debbie Salt, Joel the Cameraman and Dewey Riley
Pop Culture References:
  • None


Ya know, considering the fashion crimes going on around her - the floral mini-skirt! THE SLEEVELESS PANT-DRESS THING WITH WHITE PANTYHOSE!!!! - it's surprising how Gale Weathers gets out of Scream 2 unscathed. And once she takes the blazer off and is running around in that white top and black pant ensemble she looks positively rockin'! No hyper fluorescent green dresses for her this time!


I randomly adore this shot. I like that they don't cram every frame with stuff. Sometimes, this this moment, they do interesting compositions. Out of context, this looks like it's from a completely different movie and I love it.

Meanwhile, loving the way that they do actually keep having Debbie Salt around, not always doing something, but certainly making her more of a presence than Mickey or whatshisface in Scream 3. And I like how Debbie is standing back, like she's waiting to pounce on Gale, not even pretending to be a proper journalist like she others by scraggling for a quote from Cotton Weary. Actually... that's exactly what she says the killer must be doing. Sneaky!


"How are you holding up, Gale? It must be scary knowing somebody is out there, waiting and watching, enjoying all this. How does that make you feel?"


"Look local woman. I know that you hold me up as your career template and it gives you some sorta charge to challenge me... but GIVE IT A REST!"


See, if this were Scream 3 or Scream 4, Joel the Cameraman here would be knife food by film's end - and, let's face it, even though he says he's leaving the scene of all these crimes, we all still kinda expected him to pop up in the final reel with his tongue sticking out and his eyes gouged out, yeah? I like that one of the black characters is the smart one and gets outta this murder capital.


"I feel bad, Dewey. I feel really bad. I never say that because I never feel bad about anything! But I feel bad now."

Aw, Gale has a heart!


"Is this just another brilliant Gale Weathers performance?"
"There are no cameras here. I just wanna find this fucker!"

Teehee, I love that bit: "I just wanna find this fucker!" One of my favourite lines, for sure.



Aw, they're so cute together. Investigatin' crimes and solvin' mysteries. It's a shame they couldn't make it work. Wait, am I talking about Gale and Dewey or Courteney and David? Who knows, aren't they one and the same?

But do you know what time it is? Oh you know what time it is. !!!!!! *explodes*

Scream:
Intro, Scene 1 Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, Scene 6, Scene 7, Scene 8, Scene 9, Scene 10, Scene 11, Scene 12, Scene 13, Scene 14, Scene 15, Scene 16, Scene 17, Scene 18, Scene 19, Scene 20, Scene 21, Scene 22, Scene 23, Scene 24, Scene 25, Scene 26, Scene 27, Scene 28, Scene 29, Scene 30, Scene 31 Scene 32, Scene 33, End Credits

Scream 2
Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, Scene 6, Scene 7, Scene 8, Scene 9, Scene 10, Scene 11, Scene 12, Scene 13, Scene 14. Scene 15, Scene 16, Scene 17, Scene 18, Scene 19, Scene 20, Scene 21, Scene 22, Scene 23

3 comments:

Mierzwiak said...

"GIVE IT A REST!" reasding is simply perfect.

Can't wait for the next scene, which is my absolutely favourite.

Brandon said...

Time for act three!

Tony said...

Lol, when you read that line "I feel really bad, I never say that because I don't feel bad about about anything... etc, etc." It sounds like it would be awful. Lol, like if I read that in a script I would be like "what is this line, get rid of it!"

But somehow Courtney delivers it perfectly. Makes it sound awesome.