Thursday, January 27, 2011

Scream to Scream, Scene by Scene: SCENE 6 of Scream 2 (0:22:14-0:25:58)

In this project I attempt to review the entire Scream trilogy scene by scene in chronological order. Heavy spoilers and gore throughout!



SCENE 6 of Scream 2
Length: 3mins 36secs
Primary Characters: Sidney Prescott, Dewey nee Deputy Dewey (David Arquette), Randy Meeks, Derek, Mickey, Hallie, Gale Weathers, Joel the Cameraman & Cotton Weary (Liev Shreiber)
Pop Culture References:
  • None


I think this scene we're about to look at is a perfect one in showing off the differences between the first and second film. I wrote in an earlier scene that Scream 2 (and, for that matter, Scream 3, but less successfully) is a much bigger enterprise than the first. The original is more intimiate, whereas the sequel is like the filmmaking team finally got enough money to amp everything up a few notches.

Take, for instance, this scene - and the one just before it, but I had too much other stuff to discuss there - where Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven somehow manage to juggle all these characters, all of whom get "a moment", and yet the movie doesn't feel crammed or fussy at all. Gene Siskel praised Scream 2 over Scream for this very reason. In many ways it's a more impressive directorial job by Craven since there's so much more going on. In this scene alone we have the introduction of old characters as well as new characters all interacting with one another, referencing the earlier film and, while they're at it, furthering the plot in multiple ways that doesn't feel clunky. It's a shame the video of their review has been taken down, I would have loved to included for you guys.


"I'm seeing someone. Nice guy, pre-med, no apparent psychotic tendencies."

Oh Sidney, isn't that what you thought about Billy Loomis, too!


"I just worry. Look, Sid, if there is some freaked out psycho trying to follow in Billy Loomis's footsteps you probably already know him. Or her. Or them."

I love this line. Or, more specifically, I love this line as spoken by Dewey. I like that he gets "him", "her" and "them" all correct!


Uh-oh!



One thing I'd never noticed before is the look on Mickey's face when Cotton Weary appears out from behind Gale and Joel. I think at this stage of filming Craven and Williamson were still very much on the Hallie/Derek/Debbie trio so I'm probably giving this moment too much worth than it warrants, but I love Mickey's smile. It's like he always can't contain himself knowing that, with the new murders as Cotton is in town, so much focus will be on him.


"You bitch!"


Ooh, bitch *nearly* went down.


"Oh Sidney, won't you share with us, please!"








"I'll share with you!"


"Did you get that on film?"


"Yes I got that on film."

Bitch went down!

Look, there's no skirting around the issue here... Hallie's "Did you get that on film?" is just not as amazing as Tatum's "BAM, bitch went down. BAM! Sid! Super-bitch!" I like that they continue that structural link to the original, although you can already sense it starting to deviate.

TATUM 4EVA!


"Hey, you need to check your conscience at the door, Sweetie. We're not here to be loved."

I hate this line of dialogue?! I hate it. I hate it so much I want to forget it exists and just end this scene right now, which is what I will do. Because it's over. No, really, that's it. See you next time!

Scream:
Intro, Scene 1 Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, Scene 6, Scene 7, Scene 8, Scene 9, Scene 10, Scene 11, Scene 12, Scene 13, Scene 14, Scene 15, Scene 16, Scene 17, Scene 18, Scene 19, Scene 20, Scene 21, Scene 22, Scene 23, Scene 24, Scene 25, Scene 26, Scene 27, Scene 28, Scene 29, Scene 30, Scene 31 Scene 32, Scene 33, End Credits

Scream 2
Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5

2 comments:

Jason Adams said...

You need to check your objections at the door, Sweetie!

Love the new banner by the way, Glenn. Freddy and Jane F. so near each other gives me tingles.

Tony said...

Hey! I love that line, thank you.