Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Scream to Scream, Scene by Scene: SCENE 9 of Scream (0:31:49-0:35:55)

In this project I attempt to review the entire Scream trilogy scene by scene in chronological order. Heavy spoilers and gore throughout!


SCENE 9
Length: 4mins 6secs
Primary Characters: Sidney Prescott, Billy Loomis, Deputy Dewey, Sheriff Burke, Tatum Riley, Gale Weathers, Kenny the Cameraman and Hank Loomis (CW Morgan)
Pop Culture References:
  • None


Gah! It's been nearly a week since the last entry, which is exactly why this project is going to take so long. And I can't guarantee an abundance of entries over the next couple of weeks, what with MIFF and everything that festival entails taking up so much time, but I will try.

But back to business, let's look at Dewey's desk, shall we?

  • Red trucker's hat
  • Red novelty handcuffs
  • Dunkin' Donuts bag
  • "Comic Cops" signs
  • Picture frame

I've been praising the production design so far, but that's some fun set decoration going on right there. I bet he has some floppy discs under those papers, too!


"Let me ask you this; what are you doing with a cellular telephone, son?"

Firstly, HYSTERICAL! A question like this with lingo such as "cellular telephone" is as dated as The Net. However, I must point out completely insensitive this scene plays out by having Sidney and her presumed attacker separated by nothing more than some flimsy venetian blinds. Especially when it allows him to look at her... LIKE THIS!



Although that is some good framing there.


Billy's dad has always felt like a bit of a creep to me. No wonder Mrs Loomis (*where have we heard of her before?*) left him. He's a skeeze. I also like that he seems more concerned about "You went out last night?" as opposed to the HIS SON BEING ARRESTED FOR MURDER, but what would I know?


Do you think Skeet Ulrich was cast based purely on his similarity to Johnny Depp, star of Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street? This entire scene is framed around Ulrich's hair and how it dangles delicately across his sensitive manboy face.


"They're not letting anybody in."
"I'm not just anybody."

Damn straight you're not, Gale!


If there were a Gale Weathers appreciation society, I think I would join. Love this woman! Especially for moments like this: "Hey, watch the hand! Don't you know who you're dealing with here?" Amazing. I like to imagine she and Kenny the Cameraman were filming a live cross to Woodsboro and that all of this stuff went to air.


One of the things I am enjoying about sharing all of this with you dear readers is pointing out tiny little moments that would otherwise go unnoticed. Such a moment is now, as Sidney sits having just had Billy walk past screaming out at her. In comes Tatum who proceeds to walk over to comfort her. Tatum's walk is what amuses me. Everytime I see it I think of the Seinfeld episode "The Summer of George" in which Molly Shannon plays a woman who must go into physical rehabilitation in order to swing her arms when she walks. It makes me chuckle.


Do you have any idea how long it took me to figure out what a "five and dime" was. A LONG TIME!


"What did Mom tell ya? When I wear this badge you treat me like a man of the law."


"I'm sorry Deputy Dewey Boy, but we're ready to go!"


Poor Deputy Dewey Dwight Riley!


"He's my superior!"
"The janitor is your superior."



Which is scarier? Ghostface lunging at you with a knife or a bitchy tabloid news reporter wearing a lime green ensemble bounding towards you with an overweight cameraman? Hmmm. A question for the ages.


I see what Marilyn Manson saw in Rose McGowan now. She certainly isn't tanned! I do love this last bit of the scene out the back of the Police station between Gale, Tatum and Sidney. The bitchery is off the chart.


"No, Tatum, it's okay, she's just doing her job."


"Yes, that's right."


"So, how's the book?"


"Well, it'll be out later this year."


"Oh? I'll look for it."


"I'll send you a copy!"






"Bitch!"

Yes. Bitch, indeed.

Intro, Scene 1 Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, Scene 6, Scene 7, Scene 8

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When u break it down like this u really see how GAY (in the best sense of the word) this movie is...I mean Williamson must have had a lot of old school screen bitches in mind when he wrote Gale´s lines. Great series (and blog) btw!

JJ said...

Kenny- "Nice shot!"
Gale- "Bitch!"
Kenny- "No, I meant the camera shot."

Glenn Dunks said...

Yeah, those lines sorta didn't fit into the structure I was going for. :)

Anon, I know! Scream 2 features more shirtless guys than topless women! And it's set in college!

Jon said...

TRIVIAAA. McGowan and Arquette ad-libbed the 'superior' lines. On the DVD commentary, Kevin Williamson says he wishes he could take credit for it though. Can't really blame him. :)

Wings1295 said...

Great review! Tons going on here!

Smashley said...

Even funnier about Dewey's desk: I believe the red trucker hat says "Boob Patrol", complete with boobs attached. Classy!