Thursday, February 17, 2011

Scream to Scream, Scene by Scene: SCENE 10 of Scream 2 (0:34:42-0:36:37)

In this project I attempt to review the entire Scream trilogy scene by scene in chronological order. Heavy spoilers and gore throughout!



SCENE 10 of Scream 2
Length: 1min 55secs
Primary Characters: Sidney Prescott, Derek, Mickey, Randy Meeks, Hallie, Sister Murphy, Sister Lois and Portia de Rossi's Eyebrows
Pop Culture References:
  • The Empire Strikes Back (as Mickey and Randy continue their sequel talk)


Everclear on the soundtrack. This must be 1997.

(although to prove the "Everclear?"-ness of it all, I originally typed "Evermore", that New Zealand band that had that song that one time.)


These three - Sister Lois, Sister Murphy and Portia de Rossi's Eyebrows - are still an awesome bunch, aren't they? I'm so glad that Rebecca Gayheart wasn't cast as Tatum in the original or whoever else it was that she was meant to be cast as. I swear, I always lose my train of thought around Rebecca Gayheart because I always just jump immediately to this video of her greatest hits from Urban Legend, remixed the greater good of mankind. It's one of the greatest videos of all time!


Wait, where was I?


"Cocktails?"


"What took you so long?"


I love this moment because it reminds me of that bit in Scream where Randy and Sidney have that cute moment discussing Jamie Lee Curtis' award nomination for Terror Train. The sort of moment that just adds that little something extra towards making the audience believe they're so close. Meh, I like it and think it's cute. Plus Randy's adorable puppy dog "i'm sorry" look at the end is, well, adorable.


"Hey babe, wanna dance?"


"Oh I'd love to. Yeah, with that tall, wide-shouldered fraternity boy..."

Another moment of friendly banter that rings so true and identifiable. Add this to their brief moment in the hospital and I really wish we had gotten to see more of these two together. If only Hallie knew she was turning down Timothy Olyphant, there's no way she, nor anybody, would deny him now, right?


"Empire Strikes Back. Better story, improved effects."
"Not a sequel. Part of a trilogy. Completely planned."

So does that mean I'm not allowed to consider Scream 2 one of the best sequels ever made? I mean, it was planned... technically. Although Scream 3 was completely changed from its original plan so maybe that renders the "planned trilogy" concept of this franchise null and void?

Also, when did Randy get so flirty? I mean, he appears to start chatting up a woman while she's holding hands with another man!


I'm sorry Sister Lois! I hear you talking and yet all I can see is...


...such bliss.


"I didn't mean to break up the party!"
"Shit! I should've brought my drink."

More evidence of why these two are amazing.


Oooh, amazing little moment here. Sidney realising for certain that her worst nightmares are coming true and Randy finally accepting it, too. Their look here is golden. It must be after this scene that Randy went back to his dorm room and filmed the "if you're watching this then I am dead" video that features in Scream 3.

And all set to the recurring theme of Nick Cave and the Bad Seed's "Red Right Hand", the trilogy's unofficial anthem.

Scream:
Intro, Scene 1 Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, Scene 6, Scene 7, Scene 8, Scene 9, Scene 10, Scene 11, Scene 12, Scene 13, Scene 14, Scene 15, Scene 16, Scene 17, Scene 18, Scene 19, Scene 20, Scene 21, Scene 22, Scene 23, Scene 24, Scene 25, Scene 26, Scene 27, Scene 28, Scene 29, Scene 30, Scene 31 Scene 32, Scene 33, End Credits

Scream 2
Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, Scene 6, Scene 7, Scene 8, Scene 9

7 comments:

Eric said...

I remember when I watched this for the first time. The puppy eyes Randy makes when Sidney asks him where his been, I totally thought of that as a clue towards him being the killer, and just for a second I thought Randy had gone crazy.

Just a second interpretation of the sweet moment between him and Sidney.

Just Joshin said...

Loving these Scream dissections - didn't think it was possible that somebody out there was a bigger fan than me!

You mentioned that Scream 3 got changed massively when Williamson bailed, but I wondered if you know anywhere online that has details of this? I heard that it was originally meant to take place in a Woodsboro high school - in fact, it almost sounds like Williamson's ignoring Scream 3 and using his original plot for number four...

Anthony said...

So you couldn't spot Stu either, huh?

And yes, Rebecca and Porsha should have had more scenes during the second half of the movie.

John from Jersey said...

If you look past (and to the left) of Portia's eyebrows in the second screen capture, you can see Mickey hugging a bleached-blond guy in the background. It's Matthew Lillard... "Stu" from the first Scream. Kinda cool that he makes a subtle background appearance... and that it's the killer from Scream hugging the killer from Scream 2.

Glenn Dunks said...

Oh, is that Matthew Lillard? Yeah, I'd never seen him. Okay, makes sense that that's him since he's blond and has glasses, which Lillard had after Scream if I remember correctly.

Also, thanks for the positive comments guys!

Jonathon said...

I actually think Rebecca Gayheart is a decent actress. Have you seeen Dead Like Me, Glenn? If not...hulu.com has all the episodes watch them right away.

John from Jersey said...

Here's some Scream news: Lionsgate just announced that the Scream trilogy is being released on Blu-Ray at the end of this month. However, I am a bit bummed out that they are not going with the director's cut of Scream. I thought that since it had been released on LaserDisc way back when those things seemed like a good idea that the eventual Blu-Ray would have at least an option to watch the director's cut. But all of the supplements listed for all 3 Scream movies are identical to their DVD counterparts. Oh well.