Thursday, August 12, 2010

Scream to Scream, Scene by Scene: SCENE 13 of Scream (0:41:09-0:43:22)

In this project I attempt to review the entire Scream trilogy scene by scene in chronological order. Heavy spoilers and gore throughout!


SCENE 13
Length: 2min 13secs
Primary Characters: Sidney Prescott, Tatum Riley, Stu Macher and Billy Loomis
Pop Culture References:
  • Candyman (Stu reckons Sid "branded (Billy) the Candyman")


I'd like to use this moment to put a question to any Americans out there: Do teenagers really dress that way for school? Perhaps it's because going to school in Australia meant wearing a uniform (even public schools), but the idea of casual clothes every single day of the school year has always amused me. Good gawd, I wouldn't have enough clothes to last longer than than 2 weeks at most of not wearing the same outfit twice. Either way though, I love that Tatum wears this sort of outfit because... well, really, just look at it!


Stu and his mirror, Tatum and her lollipop. These two are made for each other (apart from one of them being a serial killer, but who's paying attention?)



Firstly, that is a really dickish thing to do by donning the costume and running right into one of the killer's potential victims. Secondly, how funny is Stu's face there? I captured this moment completely by accident and yet I had to include it. Hilarious.


"Look at this place, it's like Christmas!"
"Stupidity leak!"

Tatum's Rapid Lollipop Action (RLA) is indeed so rapid that I could barely get a screencap of it. Needless to say, this is one of my favourite little moments of the entire trilogy (I have probably typed that multiple times already and I will not stop!).

Meanwhile, Stu's shirt is fug. Moving on.


"Fuck! Jesus! Shit!"

Sidney's got a mouth on 'er!

And thus begins one of the stupidest character moments in the entire trilogy (although, probably intentional). Seriously, if I were Sidney this would be a DEALBREAKER.

Aside: Sorry, I haven't had a proper chance to use that in a sentence since watching that episode of 30 Rock and I feel it is everyone's right to say that just once without fear of raised eyebrows and muttered utterances of disapproval, okay?

Nevertheless, Billy's spiel where he compares Sidney's mother being brutally raped and murdered to his mother's moving to the next town ("she's not coming back") is both ridiculous and... well, no, just ridiculous. It does however allow Sidney one of those only-in-the-movies-which-is-apt-since-scream-is-a-movie-that-knows-its-a-movie-ya-dig? lines of dialogue.


"I was attacked and nearly filleted last night!"

Filleted. FILLETED! Nobody uses that word unless they're a contestant on MasterChef Australia. Keep on using your words, Sidney!


"Your mom left town, she's not lying in a coffin somewhere."

Ooh burn.


"Talk to the hand!"
"I'm sorry if my traumatised life is an inconvenience to you and your perfect existence."

No 17-year-old talks like this and yet I love it. So melodramatic!


"Stupid!"

Pretty much, Billy!

Intro, Scene 1 Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, Scene 6, Scene 7, Scene 8, Scene 9, Scene 10, Scene 11, Scene 12

3 comments:

MattyD. said...

Now, I did not go to public school in the 90s, but I attended in the early-to-mid 2000s, and I have to say that yes kids "try" to dress like that, but most times the dress code stopped them. I always wished we could have uniforms! I did frequently wear the same outfits over and over and over ad nauseum. So that is certainly an issue.

Glenn, I love this series! :)

Wings1295 said...

Definitely a dick move on Billy's part. And Stu nearly gives away his role in all this by being so gleeful!

Anonymous said...

I disagree with you saying that some of Sidney's lines are "lines clearly from a movie." I do agree that in previous viewings some of Sidney's lines really seem out of character, but I recently figured it out. So much of what she says is clearly influenced by her friends. Talking about Billy having "a perfect existence," Tatum said that. "Filleted," that's something Randy would totally say. "Mangled your face," more Tatum influence. I don't know if this character trait was intentional on Williamsons part, and if it wasn't, if Campbell picked up on it and used it, but it's awesome.