Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Scream to Scream, Scene by Scene: SCENE 8 of Scream (0:29:50-0:31:48)

In this project I attempt to review the entire Scream trilogy scene by scene in chronological order. Heavy spoilers and gore throughout!


SCENE 8
Length: 1mins 58secs
Primary Characters: Sidney Prescott, Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox), Billy Loomis, Deputy Dewey, Sheriff Burke, Tatum Riley and Kenny the Cameraman (W Earl Brown)
Pop Culture References:
  • None


Much like the water fountain scene I enjoy this one a lot because it is a convergence of so many characters (if only Randy was there!) and a couple of great comedy moments. What I don't get is why Billy tells the Sheriff to "call my father, he'll tell you (I didn't do it)" which is a very bizarre thing to say since the only reason anybody does think he did it is because he was at the scene of the crime as it happened and Billy nor his his father can disprove that!


Hah! Tatum shows up in her red beetle punch buggy car. I love it! Like I mentioned in the last scene about how I'm glad they had Sidney wearing the sort of clothes you would actually hang around your house wearing, I like that they gave a character like Tatum an el cheapo car. It's so annoying when characters in these sort of movies drive around in expensive BMWs or the like (hello recent A Nightmare on Elm Street remake!) Hell, Sidney doesn't even have a car from what I can tell. It just adds a bit of something extra to the proceedings. More relatability, less obviously YOU'RE WATCHING A MOVIE attitude.

But, then again, Tatum totally seems like the kinda girl who would drive around in a Volkswagen anyway, don't you think?


"Her dad's out of town all right? She's staying with us tonight."
"Does Mom know?"
"Yes doofus!"

Tatum and Dewey have such a funny relationship. It's yet another case of characters feel like true siblings and not just actors playing brother and sister. It's a strange comment to make - it's something I like to commend whenever I see it in a film - because there really are times when you watch actors act and there is just no chemistry at all.


About to emerge out of that news van is one of my all time favourite movie characters and she will say one of my all time favourite one-liners.

"Look Kenny..."

"...I know you're about fifty pounds overweight, but when I say 'hurry'..."

"...please interpret that as 'move your fat tub of lard ass, NOW!'"

Bless Gale Weathers. Bless her and her hilarious meteorologist's name.

Intro, Scene 1 Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, Scene 6, Scene 7

5 comments:

JJ said...

Quick trivia- Rose McGowan and David Arquette are cast against each 4 years later as LOVERS in Ready to Rumble.

Wings1295 said...

Hah - Good scene, and yeah - a great line from Gale!

I am gonna have to rewatch this film once you are done with your Scene By Scene!

BillyFish said...

Ok, I'm hooked.
Did you plan your blogs out over the year so that we really get through all three film by april 28th 2011? I really hope so....

Philip said...

Ugh, I love that Gale line! Hahah. One of my favorite Scream lines ever.

I also love "BAM! Bitch went down! BAM -- Sidney, super bitch!" or however that goes. :P

Tatum <3

Glenn Dunks said...

Billy, No - and I'm worried something going to happen and disrupt it. I haven't even tallied up how many scenes it is because I didn't want make the challenge too daunting for myself.