Friday, August 17, 2012

MIFF 2012 Review: Ruby Sparks

Ruby Sparks
Dir. Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris
Country: USA
Aus Rating: M15+
Running Time: 104mins

I wasn’t sure what I thought when I left my sold out session of Ruby Sparks. I think I was initially taken aback by the fact that it was both written by and stars Zoe Kazan (not to mention co-directed by a woman, Valerie Faris, alongside Jonathan Dayton who both made a big splash several years back with Little Miss Sunshine). What exactly was Kazan trying to say about women? Are they all subconsciously wanting to be manipulated by men? What exactly was Kazan trying to say about men? Do they really only want a woman that they can mould into the perfect being? What exactly was Kazan trying to say about herself? Does she really consider herself the most desirable woman in America, the perfect fantasy that any man would conjure up if forced?

Read the rest at The Film Experience

No comments: