Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Review: I Am Eleven

I Am Eleven
Dir. Genevieve Bailey
Country: Australia
Aus Rating: G
Running Time: 90mins

What were you doing at the age of eleven? I’m going to hazard a guess and assume many of you dear readers didn’t have quite the same pre-teen existence as the subjects of Genevieve Bailey’s wonderfully spry documentary, I Am Eleven. The suburban Australian landscape of my early life was so far removed from elephant rides in Thailand, learning ballet at prestigious New York City academies, or rapping in the chilly air of a snow-covered Sweden. Still, no matter where we come from, there is something intrinsically similar to children of this age and it is something that Bailey exploits quite marvellously in this lush-looking documentary that premiered to great acclaim and audience word-of-mouth at last year’s Melbourne International Film Festival.

Read the rest at Onya Magazine

No comments: