Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Chair for No Seasons

For all of the criticisms that social media - specifically Twitter and Facebook - get for the way they actually make people less social, I really can't agree. I feel they just put a spotlight on the fact that so few people in our day-to-day lives have the same degree of interest in things and that there are actually a whole tonne of people out there who we may not have necessarily met (or will ever get the chance to given some live in such far off places as Guyana and South Africa), but whom we're able to form surprisingly strong bonds with.

Of course, it's also a great way of realising that no matter how niche you think an opinion is, there are always plenty of people out there who hold it too. Take, for instance, the chair from Like Crazy. I had no idea that people hated that god damned piece of shit construction as much as I did, but after mentioning it I got some wonderful reactions like:

"WORST CHAIR EVER"

"I think of that rubbish chair Anton Yelchin made in LIKE CRAZY and I burst out laughing"

"The chair was appalling"

"it actually looks like the chairs we would have in the play area in pre-school. And they were awful."

"How was his furniture business doing so well? He seemed only capable of making the one item."

"So ugly!"

"I just remembered furniture making was a plot point in a film and my heart shrank three sizes"

It's like a whole community of people who thought that damn chair was just the most heinous piece of shit. Of course, it doesn't help that the film it appears in just gets worse and worse every time I think of it. I like that you can see Anton Yelchin's face (presumably from a poster in the same exhibit at the Arclight Theater in Hollywood (an exhibit! featuring THE CHAIR!) hovering about in the top right corner like a ghost, chained to the bloody chair for the rest of his ghostly existence. It's as if he's saying "Why did I dumb Jennifer Lawrence for Felicity freakin' Jones?!?!" Even if death his character can't escape that retched woman and that hideous chair.

1 comment:

Walter L. Hollmann said...

How did I forget the display?! I actually work there, and we not only had the chair on display, but Felicity Jones' sheer white dress as well! Because, my God, that's instant cinematic iconography right there!

Thank God we soon had the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy costumes and props on display soon after. A pleasing palette cleanser.