Friday, July 3, 2009

Black + White Friday: Pulp Fiction (Part II)

Continued from the last edition of Black + White Friday. Sorry I couldn't do this last week, but I got swine flu (naturally).


I really could work this for any Quentin Tarantino movie. He clearly uses classic cinemas (not necessarily "classic" as in "good", mind you) to influence his own work so you could black and white any of his movies and it'd be an interesting experiment. I am particularly interested in trying it with Death Proof. Hello future!


I won't include the grislier image of Vincent Vega's bloody bathroom death, but I like this shot because it looks like the way an old code Hollywood film would show a death, rather than the hot a mere few seconds later.


I think this sort of thing was more pre-code Hollywood, don't you think? :P


Probably my favourite part in all of Pulp Fiction is this scene where the weedy Jerry Seinfeld lookalike runs in, shoots at Jackson and Travolta, misses entirely and then... well, this. Brilliant moment. These two actually do sort of look like hitmen from an old movie. Or, maybe a movie from the '70s since Travolta has the long hair and Jackson has the afro.


Samuel L Jackson does more acting in this one screen shot alone that he's done in the last few years. It also reminds me of the scene in Jackie Brown where, for a minute or so, Jackson's character simply sits there are thinks. How rare is that?


You know before when I said before about that scene being my favourite in the movie? Running a very close second is Travolta's line reading of "Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face."


OH SWEET JESUS! I just happened to pause the player on this moment and what a moment. As if you needed any further proof that Amanda Plummer is freakin' INSANE in this movie look no further than this cap. I also love that it looks exactly like something out [rec] or The Blair Witch Project.


Hmm, I really like this shot for some reason. It feels quite "pulpy" and noir-y and the way it is framed is gorgeous.


I'm sorry that Samuel L Jackson seems to have hijacked this piece, but seeing him in this movie is just so surprising. I seriously forget how good he can be until I rewatch something like Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown. It's amazing, really.

Lastly, I just wanted to throw in this clip I found on YouTube of Quentin Tarantino accepting the Palme d'Or! I'm not the biggest fan of Clint Eastwood, but knowing he was the president of the jury that awarded the prize does make me like him more. Also: Kathleen Turner! And, yes, Bruce Willis (as seen in the clip) is still sporting that disgusting bald head/facial hair combo (awful goatie) to this very day.

No comments: