Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: John Carter

John Carter
Dir. Andrew Stanton
Country: USA
Aus Rating: M15+
Running Time: 132mins

Where to begin when discussing Andrew Stanton’s (Wall-E) first foray into live-action filmmaking, John Carter? I could start by saying it is a hopelessly muddled, and egregiously confusing film that I have no problem in admitting left me utterly lost. Maybe start by waxing comical on the film’s ambitious, yet ultimately flat visual style with little resembling a unique, original vision. Perhaps I could be simple – something this film never is – and just start at the beginning.

Read the rest at Trespass Magazine

It's usually pretty easy to figure out what side of the critical establishment I will find myself on regarding a film, but I can honestly say that the reaction to John Carter has surprised me. I never would have expected that critics would be liking it as much as they have. I thought it was a disaster! Ah well...

No comments: