Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Review: Footloose

Footloose
Dir. Craig Brewer
Year: 2011
Aus Rating: PG
Running Time: 113mins

Censorship leading to rebellion was hardly an original concept when Herbert Ross’ Footloose premiered nearly 30(!) years ago, but the concept is given a fresh shake in Craig Brewer’s remake. Taking the 1984 original and shaking it of its dorkiness and ugly 1980s veneer, Footloose is a notable exception amongst a glut of disappointing remakes. It takes what worked in the original (the layered plot, the fresh music and the character of Willard) and polishes them up in a shiny new package that finally serves them justice.

Read the rest at Trespass Magazine

I want to see it again right now, that's how much I enjoyed it! Add it to the pile of films that justify a remake.

1 comment:

Pete said...

I hadn't seen the original, was terrified by the prospect of the remake just from seeing the trailer but totally agree. I was tapping my feet with a big grin by the end! Check out my review if you like http://splittingreels.blogspot.com/2011/10/footloose-craig-brewer-2011-review.html