Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Review: I Am Love

I Am Love
Dir. Luca Guadagnino
Year: 2010
Aus Rating: MA15+
Running Time: 120mins

Oscar-winning actress Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton, The Deep End) has inspired directors for nearly 20 years now. From her work with Derek Jarman (Edward II) and Sally Potter (gender-bending Orlando) in the early 1990s to last year’s career-best work in Erick Zonka’s Julia, she has proved to be an enigmatic muse for directors of the arthouse and mainstream. Perhaps the most fawning of these directors is Luca Guadagnino who has crafted an opulent and visually resplendent melodrama around Swinton’s beguiling face in the form of I Am Love, an Italian-language film about the sexual awakening of a married middle-aged family matriarch.

Read the rest at Trespass Mag

I seriously could have gone on and on about this beautiful movie. Please see it. It's out this Thursday here in Australia, currently in limited release in America and various stages of release around the world (DVD, cinema, etc).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you love Tilda Swinton then you must, if you haven't already, JULIA, which I saw last year at ACMI. One of the best films of last year and I also have the DVD now.

Glenn Dunks said...

Umm... I've seen it and reviewed it.