Thursday, April 25, 2013

Traffic Cones and Daggers

Whenever anybody has asked me what my favourite film of the ongoing Tribeca Film Festival has been, I've ummed and aahed. I definitely think David Gordon Green's comeback to minimal character-oriented films (after that weird sojourn into populist entertainment that brought about the funny Pineapple Express and not much else) was my favourite, but I feel somewhat guilty taking the attention away from one of the smaller, less known titles that I also adored. It's frequently like that at film festivals - there are big name films like this or Before Midnight (which I did not see, sadly) that come with distribution and big name actors with little invested other than their reputation and their time and it sometimes feels a bit like cheating to label them the best. Compare Prince Avalanche to, say, Sam Fleischner's Stand Clear of the Closing Doors or Scott Coffey's Adult World and I can't help but want to give them the edge.

ANYWAY, that was all a big way around of saying that I loved Prince Avalanche. It's a mightily impressive two-hander from David Gordon Green with Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch playing not-quite-relatives gone bush. I'd be keen to see the Icelandic original although I'm not sure if it is readily available. Nevertheless, the new version is so good that I don't feel like I am entirely missing out. The people behind the film have released a poster and will be unleashing a trailer sometime tomorrow. The poster has a nice touch to it, although hardly indicative of the film's many pleasures.

Speaking of posters, this newbie for upcoming lo-fi panic thriller Black Rock is a doozy, don't you think? Obviously paying homage to the key art of Deliverance (and not Jaws like some have lazily suggested), but I don't mind when it's done so spectacularly well. And it sort of represents the film quite well, I think. Directed by and starring Katie Aselton, Black Rock is minimal, but with a jagged edge. I'll likely look at the film more closer to the release date in May, but for now just look at the poster.

1 comment:

Tawdry Living said...

The poster image alone to me reads more closely representative of Polanski's 'Knife in the Water' title, although not the (original?) cover design that graces the Criterion covers. Love your poster features.