Thursday, April 25, 2013

Scream in Prime Time

A couple of weeks back I got to see Edvard Munch's painting "The Scream" at the Museum of Modern Art here in Manhattan. In actual fact, it wasn't a painting at all, but one of the artwork's many incarnations that are spread across the world in various museums and galleries. The version that is at MoMA - which, by the way, is only on display for a further four days until 29 April! - is a pastel on paper on cardboard piece from 1895. Despite the fact that it's an incredible piece of art and imagery, as was much of the rest of the Munch collection on viewing offer, but seeing this particular work made me feel quite giddy because it was the influence behind "Ghostface" from Scream.

Yes, most things can be distilled down to Scream and I make no apologies. This was all suddenly on my brain today though because, well wouldn't you know, that Scream TV series on MTV that we discussed last year is actually happening. Well, it's going to pilot, but since it's MTV I can't imagine anything being bad enough to not go to full series, right? They just renewed something called "Snooki & JWOWW" so, lol, whatever, right? The network is set to announce it at their up front today, but apparently they will be working with Dimension Films and are hoping to get Wes Craven on board. Given the writer of Scream, Scream 2, and parts of Scream 3 and Scream 4, Kevin Williamson, has such a troubled history with the franchise and is working on his own serial killer TV series The Following, it's doubtful he will be involved. That may be a good thing since I got a bit bored by The Following after a while, didn't you? Although, hey, anything giving Nico Tortello the opportunity to do photoshoots like this can't be all for nothing!

As I said in June last year, I'm not entirely against the idea if they find a way to keep it in a lively spirit and don't drag things out to season-after-season. I think self-contained seasons could be the way to go - I mean, the killers in these movies barring Mrs Loomis have all proven to be infinitely dumb with an attention span of a few days at most, so are we really going to be expected to believe anybody will be able to have the patience of an entire series? Doubtful. But, then again, stranger things have happened. I figured the idea of a Scream series had been all but kicked to the curb since it'd been radio silence on the matter for so long, but I guess MTV don't really have all that much going on in their drama department so why not, 'ey?

1 comment:

will h said...

I love Scream, but, yeah, I agree, The Following got boring. I stopped watching 3 or 4 weeks ago. Love the pilot, but ehhhh. Doesn't even have the decency to be enjoyably bad. Bring on Scream TV!