Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My Thoughts On Being Out of the Country During MIFF 2013


That lovely image up there is from Richard Franklin's 1978 Aussie horror classic Patrick. It's been remade by Not Quite Hollywood director Mark Harley, and will be premiering at the Melbourne International Film Festival. It's one of seven Australian titles that will receive their world premieres at the festival, but Patrick is the one I will be most sad about missing. Alas, I'll be living in New York City at the time so perhaps it is a fair trade. I'll also be sad to miss The Turning, a rare Australian omnibus film, adapted from the short stories of Tim Winton and comes with an all-star cast of actors and directors (including the likes of Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Mia Wasikowska, Justin Kurzel, and David Wenham amongst many others). Hopefully the names attached will allow it an American release at some point. Same goes for Patrick's genre elements, which make global sales far easier for an industry that struggles to sell overseas without its own exotic language and filmmakers that readily jump ship to America and the UK.

It will be sad to not be able to attend MIFF and experience the films and the people like I have the last six or so years. But, as I said, New York City beckons. Within days of arriving I will be catching Sarah Polley's Stories We Tell, Chan-wook Park's Stoker, Shane Carruth's Upstream Color, and Leviathan by Sweetgrass director Lucien Castaing-Taylor. I really shouldn't complain.

1 comment:

FDot said...

I didn't realize that Patrick was being remade. I wonder how faithful it will be to the original. That one is a lot of fun, but I can't see a straight remake working with today's audience.