Monday, July 16, 2012


It's been pretty hard to avoid the goings on at the San Diego Comic-Con. Even if one doesn't care for it all, it's still a fascinating mini universe to be privy to 24/7 thanks to the world of social media. Still, I stopped particularly caring for the annual parade once the geek's more or less took over the celluloid world. The meek have inherited the Earth. Or, at least, they have inherited the collective consciousness of movie studio moguls and there's seemingly no end in sight. For crying out loud, we got a Spider-Man "reboot" a mere 5 years after the trilogy-ending Spider-Man 3, and a ghastly 10 years after Sam Raimi's first Spider-Man blew the lid off of the box office and set about a game of one-upmanship that keeps on going and going and going. The world of superheroes, geeks, and all the rest is hardly an underground collective.

I didn't quite expect, however, the most off-putting news to come out of the whole enterprise has been the sparkling new subtitles for two Marvel properties. I greatly enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's Thor, which I thought was a whole lot of goofy, bordering on camp, fun with its cities of gold, flowing capes, giant laser-shooting robots in the desert, and horny woman lust. What doesn't sound like fun is a film named Thor: The Dark World. Sounds miserable if you ask me, especially since Thor himself, Chris Hemsworth, has said he hopes the sequel utilises a tone more akin to Game of Thrones. Oh, and they've even hired a director that worked on the series. Yikes. My interest in this franchise has deteriorated rapidly since it lost both Branagh is original replacement, Patty Jenkins. I worry a Thor with his head stuck up his own arse will just not be the same and that'd be a shame since the original was favourite of the Marvel movies (Spider-Man 2 notwithstanding, but I'm not sure if we count that since it's technically not Marvel as we know it.)

The other Marvel announcement was that the second Captain America film will go by the title Captain America: The Winter Soldier. This film will be a much more interesting test since the Joe Johnston film ended with Chris Evans' muscular hero transported to the modern day to fight evil and join The Avengers. The original had such a fabulous retro sepia-toned look and distinctively unique art direction and costume design amongst the Marvel universe that it will be a shame to merely see it take upon the sunny look favoured by Iron Man and Joss Whedon's 2011 blockbuster. Don't get me wrong, they look wonderful and I'm always glad when a superhero movie doesn't replicate the grunge aesthetic of Christopher Nolan's Batman flicks, but Captain America: The First Avenger this will certainly not be.

Of course, I'm entirely illiterate on the world of comics so I have no idea what "The Winter Soldier" implies for the sequel, but much like Thor: The Dark World the title alone sounds like it has been drained of fun. Don't Marvel have trust in Stanley Kubrick, who once said that nobody wants to see movies titles with military themes don't do well? They should. The title is boring and charcoal-coloured. I guess Marvel figure that Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger didn't reach $200mil at the American box office (a number The Avengers made in one weekend - try and figure that one out!) so they have room to tinker with their product. Hopefully not into the ground, anyway.

And just in case their newfound serious 'tudes get in the way of more shirtless man action (a very worrying possibility given the lack of flesh found in The Avengers) then we'll always have these...

Bless 'em. I mean, it's hard to screw up that, so here's hoping they don't find a way.

Elsewhere at Comic-Con there was a presence for a film that I have been noticeably silent on. Gareth Evans' Monsters is still my favourite film of, gosh, the last however many years (five? six?) and so the news that his next project was going to be a return to Godzilla made me... worried. I didn't say a word on the blog, or even on Twitter, but we now have a teaser poster and a description (oh lordy, a description!) of a trailer. What'll they think of next?

There's also this video that I got at Bloody Disgusting of Gareth Edwards discussing the movie. I just... I don't know. I guess I will have to wait and see. I always kinda figured that Monsters was just a really, really fancy calling card for Evans to get into the industry, but I was so moved by it that I think I'll be watching Godzilla through a haze of sadness. I hope it's good enough to pull me through. He certainly has the enthusiasm and the heart judging from this video, but... well, it's Godzilla, you guys. I haven't liked a single one of those yet.

Kudos on the virginity joke. One thinks he's good company there.

Lastly, have you seen this poster for Man of Steel? The new Superman flick that has been described as having an Terrence Malick influence? I'll believe that when I see it, but for now...

My, what a heaving bosom you have. You know when your chest muscles cast their own shadows then you're clearly doing something right in the gym. But, hey, we already knew that.


par3182 said...

i was about to agree with being underwhelmed by the avalanche of comic bookery coming to a cinema near me, but the generous supply of man rack in this post made me change my mind

Agent 13 said...

I don't want to sound like a comic book nerd *puts on comic reading glasses* but the title "The Winter Soldier" actually refers to the fact that Bucky Barnes who "died" in the first film gets rebuilt (psychologically and physically), as the Winter Soldier by the KGB during the Cold see Cold War...Winter...Cold...Winter, get it?

Anyway the title may not be rainbow tinted and most certainly doesn't conjure up images of pink unicorns but it is completely relevant to the subject matter of the film, a film that deals with Nazis and terrorism and fascist communist secret societies obsessed with eugenics...ya know charcoal-coloured things.