Wednesday, June 20, 2012

To Nicole Kidman on her 45th Birthday...

Yesterday was Nicole Kidman's birthday. Oops, I missed it! What kind of Kidmaniac am I? Nah, I've always been terrible with terrible with birthdays, but this Indiewire piece on Kidman's "5 best" performances certainly reminded me. So glad to see Birth, Dogville and Margot at the Wedding on there, since outside of her rabid fans, few have actually seen them and those that have tend to dislike them passionately. It was that very polarising reaction to Nicole Kidman that got me to write a new "Why I Adore" piece for the Australian Film Institute.

It says a lot that people new this piece was written by me after only seeing the topic headline in the AFI newsletter. The word limit went drastically overboard, but surely you can understand why. There's just so much to talk about, and with two Lee Daniels collaborations coming up, The Paperboy and The Butler, TV movie Hemingway & Gelhorn, plus big screen biopics, The Railway Man and Grace of Monaco, coming out within the next couple of years, you can be assured that there will be plenty more discussion about her here and everywhere else.

No comments: