Monday, May 7, 2012


Last Friday I went to my local Village cinema, known as The Jam Factory, on Chapel Street in South Yarra to go and see Madonna's directorial effort, W.E. One of the few cinemas I found actually playing the film - and at only one session per day I think it's safe to say it won't be hanging around for very long so make your choice quickly - I was glad I wasn't going to have to venture out to who knows where like a few people I know did with Steven Soderbergh's Haywire, which received the same dump-and-run treatment. The Jam Factory (so called because, and here's a shocker, the building it's in used to be a factory that made jam!) has had a poster for Wanderlust up in it's foyer for a while now, despite that Paul Rudd/Jennifer Aniston comedy's direct-to-DVD status being known for quite some time, so poster-related oddities aren't too out of the ordinary.

Still, I was admitted quite taken aback by the three posters lined up side by side that I promptly took a photo of. It's actually startling in many ways. I mean, I think it's fair to say that The Jam Factory is the only cinema in Australia, nay the world, to have these three posters ever placed next to one another, but the true shock comes when you consider the films themselves. Take a look and marvel at the unfortunate hilarity of it all.

A poster for Get the Gringo, which stars known anti-semite Mel Gibson, next to a poster for a Nazis-on-the-moon-no-really-there-are-actual-nazis-in-it-and-they-live-on-the-moon action comedy, Iron Sky, next to a poster for a movie about some Jewish comedians, The Three Stooges. The first two side by side was eye opening enough let alone when you include The Three Stooges with them. Whoever put these up deserves a prize, or a stern talking to... I can't quite decide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to mention Gibson's Stooges-inspired shtick in Lethal Weapon series.