Thursday, May 3, 2012

Elizabeth Olsen Vs.

Loving this photo of Elizabeth Olsen - no longer "the other one" at the Olsen family reunion - from Vs. magazine via Vulture's "April's Best Entertainment Photography slideshow. Can't wait for June when Olsen's shoulda-been-Oscar-nominated performance in Martha Marcy May Marlene makes its way onto DVD and Blu-ray. A third visit is most definitely on the cards for that film, which ranked only below Drive and Meek's Cutoff of my list of films from 2011.

Sadly, there's no such release planned as far as I can tell for the Dee Rees directed drama Pariah. Screened to raves at Sundance, but given a dismal end-of-year release in America that lead to some small awards, this Spike Lee production has been high on my must see list for a while now, but nobody seems to claiming it for a local release. Theatrical or otherwise. Would definitely be a shame to see it go unreleased here. I mean, I know "urban" films are a tricky sell in Australia, and GLBT-themed ones even moreso I imagine, but it was almost universally acclaimed so surely somebody out there wants us to see it. Surely. Star Adepero Oduyo is featured there to the left in Brooklyn Magazine, which I also swiped from the Vulture photography rpund up. It's an amazing photo, isn't it?

In fact, a lot of the featured photos are excellent - I also particularly love those of Lena Dunham and Angela Lansbury - and I can't believe I've never seen this feature before on the Vulture website. Collated by Jillian Goodman, there are months and months and months (and then some more) of previous slideshows to peruse for my eyes' pleasure.

Do you have a favourite?

No comments: