Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Time to Step Up Again

I think I've made it well known that I am a fan of the dance movie - that very special breed of films aimed primarily at younger audiences that are usually little more than one sequence cliched plot exposition right after the after, but with frequent interruptions for dance scenes that are generally little more than extended advertisements for soundtrack albums. Sometimes they strive for something higher, but I tend to find myself enjoying even the most frivolous of these kinds of films. Far and away the best franchise to come about since the genre's re-emergence in the early 2000s with Save the Last Dance has been the Step Up series. I find they examine the idea of community and artists in a really fun way and are much stronger films than people would give them credit for. Step Up 3D, for what it's worth, has some of the best 3D I've seen to date.

All of this is a roundabout way of showing you this "exclusive announcement piece" - I think that means it's a more just a random montage of clips rather than a traditional trailer - for the fourth instalment of the franchise. I hope it's still as good as the second and third films, but at least the dancing is guaranteed to be electric. There are dancing cars, after all!

No comments: