Thursday, February 2, 2012

Odds & Ends: Lynch, Drive and Somebody That I Used to Know

I've felt neglectful this week, so my apologies. I've had stuff to write about, too, I have just been met with a mix of uninterest, lack of time, movie watching and so on and so on. I wanted to briefly touch on a few things I've seen today to at least give the semblance of still writing.

One of the things I have come to discover over the last few months is that some people hate lists. More of the "ranking films" variety than novelty fun lists, but still... I didn't actually think it was possible. Part of the fun of being a cinephile is, I think, sharing and comparing one person's list with my own and discovering not only new takes on films, but also discovering new films entirely. Basically, if you don't like lists then December/January is a bad time of the year for you, wouldn't you agree? One list, however, that can surely all agree is worth our time is Time Out's best David Lynch characters. Lynch's work is always ripe for discussion, and I love that he's able to craft such individual characters (and performances) for what could otherwise have been rather standard minor supporting roles. His films are full to the brim with buzzing performances and fascinatingly unique characters that makes a list like this a good'ne. Even if I don't necessarily agree with them all - where's Catherine Martell (Twin Peaks) or Rebekah del Rio (Mulholland Drive) - but, yet again, that's the beauty of lists. I love that they appear to have actually watched all of his stuff and not just gone with the movies and devised a lazy list like that. So please, peruse the list and let us know what you think. Can any of us really argue with number one? Doubtful.

Meanwhile, speaking of Twin Peaks... my followers on Twitter will have seen this, but for any of you readers who have not:


Amazing, is it not? Man, I really need to rewatch that entire series some time soon. Classic.

What's that? You need more alternate posters for Drive? Well sure, in my seemingly never-ending mission to bring y'all great alternate poster designs for Drive, the best film of 2011, here is yet another and it's from the trusty people at Alamo Drafthouse. I still prefer the James White edition that I am soon to have hanging on my wall, but this is obviously very fine especially if you like this sort of aesthetic.


Meanwhile, I tweeted the other day that Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" was a more complex representation of a disintegrating relationship in four minutes than The Descendants was in its entire 100+ minutes. And now that Gotye (featuring Kimbra, of course) has hit its stride on the US Billboard chart (#31, crazy) and watched this video of them performing on Jimmy Kimmel, my love for the song has re-ignited. It is interesting though how we get such a rounded, full picture of the failed romance at the centre of the song and yet The Descendants had not a single moment of reality that cut through all the bullshit. That Kimbra guest verse was a rather brilliant decision as it suitable redefines the boundaries of sympathy. Instead of being a one man show about how awful his ex girlfriend is (a frequent occurrence in music from both genders, but songs generally don't run long enough to become repetitive and offensive), it becomes a duelling duet about how both parties failed themselves and each other. Something The Descendants could have used more of, don't you think?


Still, that movie doesn't quite pip This Means War to the post of most misogynistic film I've seen so far in 2012, so that's a win for Alexander Payne's film, I guess. :/

2 comments:

Runs Like A Gay said...

I need one of those T-Shirts, where did you get it from?

Glenn Dunks said...

Old Skool Hooligans on eBay! I also got a RR Diner tee.