Thursday, February 9, 2012

"Benedict Cumberbatch"

Have you seen the latest episode of Chloe, the fantastic drag sketch on YouTube? It's amazing simply for the way "she" says stuff like "hopscotch lessons with Andre Leon Talley", "reading seventeenth century shame smut with my great aunt, The Countess", "Singapore Airlines" and, yes, "Benedict Cumberbatch". Love her, love this.



I recently rewatched Mary Harron's American Psycho and was yet again startled by Sevigny's performance. She was a surefire Best Supporting Actress contender on my personal ballot in 2000. In fact, that entire era of late 1990s and early 2000s is laced with wonderfully vivid portrayals that I can remember so very well: The Last Days of Disco, Boys Don't Cry, demonlover, Shattered Glass, Dogville and If These Walls Could Talk 2 instantly come to mind. Sevigny appeared to be right on the (and please forgive the cliched term) cutting edge of arthouse cinema and yet lately I can't even recall anything she's done outside of David Fincher's Zodiac some five years ago. A check of her IMDb page reminds me that she ventured into the world of cable television on Big Love, which I curiously never watched. Curious because it was such an actressexual's dream and yet... and yet... I dunno. It never grabbed me. Funny, that.

Almost all of the feature film credits to her name in recent years are titles I have never heard of, too. The only upcoming film that I have on my radar is Lovelace, co-starring Amanda Seydfriend, Adam Brody and Sarah Jessica Parker. And if the production's many dramas involving former cast members Lindsay Lohan and Demi Moore had never happened...? Yikes. Maybe Chloe still very much is on the cutting edge, it's just that movie distribution has moved a little to the left and so-called "independent cinema" really isn't independent at all (well, that's actually kinda true). Maybe one day all of these films like Panarea and Mr Nice will find an audience - given the cast of the latter, I'm surprised a bigger deal wasn't made at the time - and I can bask in the glow of Chloe once more. Until then, maybe she and Parker Posey can make a film together about once indie darlings struggling to find good roles. I know I'd see that!

3 comments:

Simon said...

The problem with "Big Love" as an actress-sexual's dream is, yes, you have the great three lead characters (plus Amanda Seyfried, Tina Majorino and Grace Zabriskie), but they're all meant to be attached to a man who's as goddamn annoying (and not even in an interesting HBO way like Tony Soprano) as Bill Paxton....

Runs Like A Gay said...

But how would the Chloe/Parker collaboration ever end?

Anthony said...

Glenn, you need to watch Big Love (YouTube!) Chloe Sevigny is AMAZING in it.