Thursday, December 1, 2011

John Waters Lives in the Skin

I normally wouldn't bother posting this little tidbit, but since I got to interview the man earlier this year, I feel like I have to keep y'all abreast of his activities. John Waters has yet again listed his top ten films of the year over at Art Forum and, as usual, it is a bizarre mix of mainstream, ultra arthouse and seemingly everything in between. I was half expecting something along the lines of A Serbian Film or The Human Centipede 2 to find a place, but I guess that would have been too predictable. Instead we get Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, which is probably equally as predictable, but lovingly so. As you do.

1 The Skin I Live In (Pedro Almodóvar) A dark, twisted, beautiful, and, yes, funny shocker from the greatest director in the world. God bless you, Pedro Almodóvar!
2 Mildred Pierce (Todd Haynes)
3 Justin Bieber: Never Say Never (Jon M. Chu)
4 Hadewijch (Bruno Dumont)
5 Kaboom (Gregg Araki)

You can find out the rest of his top ten, as well as read what he has to say about all of them, at Art Forum. I love what he wrote about Mildred Pierce, "...makes everyone who watches secretly yearn to be a woman with issues." Hah. Don't we all secretly wish we were a character in a 1950s melodrama dealing with the issues? John Waters speaks the truth. I haven't seen Mildred Pierce, although I do find it hard to believe that it's "the best period film in decades", but to each their own. I also like that he included Gregg Araki's chaotic, but hilarious, campus comedy Kaboom, since it reminded me so much of Waters' own work. Meanwhile, do you reckon they chose the image from Almodovar's ("bless you, Pedro Almodóvar!", indeed) The Skin That Live In to the left to illustrate his article because the man in it actually looks like Waters himself traipsing about Almodóvar's set? I think so!

1 comment:

maxx said...

Mildred Pierce is set in the 1930s, more true to the novel I guess. And it is quite different than the Crawford movie, which I ended up preferring by the end of the miniseries.