Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Spielberg, von Trier & Katie Holmes Together at Last

No, not like that!

The poster for Steven Spielberg's War Horse is everything I expected and even less. Much like last year's poster for The King's Speech, which I had correctly predicted would be boring in every possible way, so too did I expect the poster for War Horse to feature the lead male actor and his horse in this exact poster with those exact amber-tinted rays of sun peering behind them and that exact formation of clouds. In fact, two other recent horse movies have used the same colour palate and structure - Secretariat and The Cup. Hell, even the DVD cover for The Black Stallion is the same! Horses don't get no respect, apparently.


Seriously.

On the other hand, I am completely and utterly in love with these posters for Lars von Trier's Melancholia. They are gorgeous, aren't they? Of course, they've gotten quite a bit of attention today because one of the following six "character" posters is actually of the writer/director/persona non grata himself, Lars von Trier. That's some ballsy art they're using right there, and I love it. LOVE IT. One great thing (amongst many, obviously) about older posters is seeing who were the stars of the day, and it's always wonderful to see directors, writers and producers credited so heavily. I'm not sure any of them personally wound up on a poster apart from Alfred Hitchcock, but gosh I wish it happened more. Bonus points for the hilarious seal of disapproval from the Cannes Film Festival right there in the corner.



Lastly, I am loving this locally designed poster for Hopscotch's release of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. The film is getting a limited release, I believe, due to its financial disappointment in America, but due to its Aussie connection (it was filmed here and features several Aussie actors) it's not going direct-to-DVD like most probably would. Loving the typeface most of all here, but the entire thing is moody and if they couldn't go all creepy picture book aesthetic for it then this is still pretty darn good.

1 comment:

Janice said...

del Toro's film a financial disappointment in America? I guess so because this is the first I'm hearing of it. I don't even recall it being mentioned at The Film Experience. Great poster, though.