Saturday, March 12, 2011

Super Poster

I can just tell that this is going to be the online fanboy's cause célèbre of poster design for the year. It's for a much-buzzed movie featuring a bunch of high profile sci-fi names (JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg) and has a unique look to it. In fact, if the internet hasn't married this Super 8 poster by the time you're reading this then I'll be quite surprised.


I like that side-angle view and the way the sky sorta looks like a giant moon. I like that there are the tiny references to a band of characters as well as a hint as to the sci-fi element in the blue light emanating from the silo. And while they're far better than, say, the posters for Inception... it's still a lot of empty space. Still, if you're going to have a poster with all that empty space, you may as well make it look as neat as Super 8 has done. I am so incredibly thankful that there are no giant floating heads, overly Photoshopped faces lined up like patriotic the cast of Armageddon and no stripes. THANK GAWD THERE ARE NO STRIPES!

4 comments:

NATHANIEL R said...

as far as i can tell from the trailer, it's an actual reference to the plot too (since a camera tips over while still filming early on)

so A+... it's not just cute design but relevant design

Glenn Dunks said...

Ooh, I missed that.

I wonder what the UK quad will be since this design doesn't exactly translate into landscape.

Alice said...

So that's a thumbs up as well as a marriage proposal from you, then? ;)

Glenn Dunks said...

I'm not as big on the poster as others are/will be, Alice. :)

I'm saving my marriage proposals for the posters of Jane Eyre, Kaboom and 13 Assassins.