Thursday, March 17, 2011

Art History

Have you seen this video from Art of the Title on the history of film titles? It's an exceptional compilation of amazing design work. I have embedded it below, but I suggest you check out the much MUCH larger version of the video at Art of the Title's own site. It's so glorious.

I think it's apt that Gasper Noe's Enter the Void gets such prominence at the video's end - it's the longest inclusion by far - since a great case could be made for it being the greatest title sequence in cinematic history. Alas, for now, just enjoy the video and bathe in all the beautiful images, eye-popping concepts and inventive typefaces. There's about 80 (edit: this page tells me it's 73?) films and TV shows represented here - I like the inclusion of TV since that is where a lot of the most interesting, daring and visually striking title design work is being created these days since most films don't feel like including much more than a barren title card - although I may have missed some during that bit before Se7en where it goes all speedy and haywire.

But seriously, enough of me yammering on about how great this is. Just watch. Remember, the larger version can be found at Art of the Title.

A Brief History of Title Design from Ian Albinson on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Alice said...

This. Is. Brilliant!

Thank you for sharing :)

Jules said...

Thanks so much for posting this. I loved seeing the evolution of it as well, great editing there.

I've forgotten how awesome the 'To Kill a Mockingbird' sequence is. Scott Pilgrim's is amazing but, yeah, Enter the Void's is unmatchable.