Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Look Sharp! Scream 4 Gets a New Poster

I am sure that those of you who actually care about such things have already laid your eyes upon the brand spankin' new poster for Scream 4. I was unfortunately asleep and at work when it was exploding all over the internet, but I'm here now and, unfortunately, my observation that it shares a bit in common with the 1978 Halloween poster has been taken and ran with by many others. Oh well.

I like it! I find it interesting that they've gone with a completely new concept for this design. I still expect a tradition cast photo that all three prior Scream films received, but this is a nice change of pace. I especially think it's a wise move to make a very Ghostface-centric design since modern audiences will know what the mask is, even if they're not sure of what "Scream" is all about. The mask is like Freddy's glove, it's all you need.

In regards to Halloween (poster to the left, the greatest poster ever made - ahem!), well, I think it's quite obvious and very much deliberate. We all know the first film of the trilogy is particularly indebted to John Carpenter's groundbreaking slasher, so much so that Wes Craven and co even adopted parts of Halloween's musical score as their own and integrated video of the film as well as Halloween inspired gags into multiple scenes.

I find it interesting though the way these two franchises feel quite similar. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers was the first after a lengthy break after the third, a movie that was disappointing to many fans because it took quite a detour from the path of the original two. Sounds awfully similar to the Scream franchise if you ask me. Halloween 4 is the best of the entire series after the original so if the trend continues...

And, yes, I think the tagline is great! What say you?


Tony said...

I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN HALLOWEEN 4! It's literally the only one in the series (besides 3 -- doesn't count) that I haven't seen. Maybe I'll purchase it this weekend.

Tom Clift said...

Like the tagline, not a fan of the poster, very excited for the film