Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sweet (Show)girl

We like Paul Verhoeven's Showgirls around these parts.


Nah, we LOVE Showgirls!

It's a masterpiece, pure and simple. Want to debate it? I will counteract every single argument you can make that it's a bad movie with a reason why it's a good one. Not many people have ever dared to actually fight me on this when I say how great Showgirls is in a completely non-ironic way; if they have they're no longer around because my mad defensive skills devoured them whole (much like Nomi Malone's giant red neon vagina will swallow you up and spit you out if you even look at her the wrong way or mock her for mispronouncing one of the most famous fashion designers of all time. Just you try!)

There is almost nothing that will perk me up quite like a bit of Showgirls! Now, I have not seen Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan yet - it's local release in 20 January - but I had indeed noticed the similarities between it and Verhoeven's miracle on Las Vegas Blvd. Of course, the similarities are there between it and any other "ingenue rising through the ranks, goes slightly berserk" story (I fully expect revival houses to screen Showgirls and Burlesque as a double feature in the near future!), but the unhinged nature of both Showgirls and Black Swan (at least from what I had gathered from watching the trailer) and the fact that they're both dancing movies that revolve around the willpower one must have to succeed placed them, naturally, next to each other in my mind.

So it was with absolute relish and delight that I came across this "mash up" trailer for the two at dlisted. Mixing the visuals of Showgirls with the audio of Black Swan and making an even more twisted, beautiful, insane and surreal experience. "What happened to my sweet girl?" What happened to my sweet showgirl, more like it!


Anonymous said...

best fake trailer i have ever seen in my life. LOL

Ed Howard said...

Hah, nice. I just finished my conversation with Jason Bellamy about Black Swan (to be published tonight at the House Next Door) and I noted in passing how much that film, with its lurid aesthetics and psychosexual melodramatics, reminded me of Paul Verhoeven and Showgirls. There's definitely some resonance there that goes beyond the superficial resemblances of the showbiz story.