Monday, November 8, 2010

Well Played, Poster: Jane Eyre

Earlier this year the Mark Romanek adaptation of Never Let Me Go released a poster that a lot of people on the internet collectively wet their pants over. I did not. I never posted about it at the time, but over at InContention I wrote: "As a movie poster this makes a great book cover. Not sure how this at all sells a movie of any kind of anybody though. Who’ll see that and go 'yes, let’s see that movie.'" I still feel that way, and judging by the film's scant American box office not many others were all that interested in seeing the movie that's supposedly about a couple of children running down a pier. Maybe they were running towards something that the poster was simply unable to convey? I don't know.

Moving on though, today comes a poster for Jane Eyre, the latest adaptation of which comes from Cary Fukunaga. He made a splash last year with Sin Nombre, but that Mexico-set film never received a release in Australia so I have nothing to go on. The advertising materials I have seen for it certainly suggest a very different film to his sophomore effort.

There are several things that I love about this poster, which was just released through Focus' Facebook page. I like how they're not shying away from the fact that it's a period film with girly costumes and dainty hair stylings and yet haven't shied away from making a visually stylish design. Films such as The King's Speech, The Young Victoria, Changeling and so forth could learn a thing or two about not forsaking personality and design in the face of stifling period detailing.

I do think the poster looks like a book cover - in case you were wondering why I brought up that Never Let Me Go story - that could feature the sticker "Now a Major Motion Picture starring Mia Wasikowska", but a book cover that can still work as a movie poster due to its visuals and cinematic scope. I think the colours are gorgeous and colours we so rarely see on a poster, they immediately make me think of the colour palette than Fukunaga will be using to show the moors of the British isle.

Most of all, however, I love that look of Mia Wasikowska's face. It makes me suspect there's a lot going on within her and makes me anticipate what she will do with the character. I find it interesting that the release date is March of next year, which is hardly the time of year where you expect a prestigious literary adaptation with period costumes. In fact, Wasikowska has this in March and Restless (poster and trailer here) for Gus Van Sant in January. She's giving me Nicole Kidman vibes right now, working with quite auteur and artistically arresting directors that (judging from their release dates) don't quite fit into the model of what Oscar-bait prestige films.

I must say though, it's this part of the poster would probably have sold me on the project anyway.

Isn't that an amazing cast?

No comments: