Wednesday, September 1, 2010

James Dean and the Joshua Tree

No, U2 aren't embarking on a radical, revolutionary movement that will see their classic album The Joshua Tree performed live in concert by a pack of James Dean impersonators - although... - but instead a new film about James Dean has been made and here's the trailer. It's called, quite oddly, Joshua Tree, 1951: A Portrait of James Dean and it seems to be focusing on Dean's sexuality more than anything else. Take a peak.

JOSHUA TREE, 1951: A PORTRAIT OF JAMES DEAN Teaser Trailer from Iconoclastic Features on Vimeo.


I don't really know what to say. I am a bit of a James Dean tragic and will watch anything about him - even that horrid early Robert Altman movie - but I feel a bit queasy about this movie. To so shamelessly pilfer away at the corpse of a legend? Look, we all already know that James Dean was bisexual, do we really need another movie about Dean to tell us so? And, quite tellingly, a movie written and directed by a man that nobody knows (Matthew Mishory) who might just be doing this project to get some heat for his career. It's perhaps cynical of me to think that, but I gotta call it how I see it.

It basically looks like A Single Man - a movie I did not like - but in black and white. It sure does look pretty (I've included some of my favourite shots below), but that doesn't erase the stink of this being a cynically driven project that is using the legend of James Dean's name to advance the career of its creator.






As for this James Preston dude... well, colour me ignorant because I haven't the faintest idea of who he is. His IMDb seems to suggest his most prominent role is on a TV series called The Gates, but I have never seen nor even heard of it, so that's not an auspicious beginning to our relationship. I think James Franco had the look down best in the 2001 TV movie James Dean (for which Franco won a Golden Globe). So many actors named James!


The James': Preston | Dean | Franco

Tell me readers, am I justified or is it just my James Dean obsession rearing its head, not wanting people to think less of him. Hmmm...

3 comments:

Dame James said...

Yikes! At first I was going to ask you to give the director the benefit of the doubt, but after that trailer it just looks like he wanted to see just how gay he could make Dean. I wouldn't go as far to say he only did the movie to further his career, but it's obvious that he wanted to make his fantasy of guy-on-guy sex with James Dean come alive. It's kind of a shame because in the right hands, the mystery of Dean's sexuality could be explored in interesting ways.

Anonymous said...

James is an Abercrombie model and based his career off of model gigs and small part roles.

Anonymous said...

terrible acting with a script that was by definition slash fiction ...

Don't waste your time, this movie was poorly done