Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cleansing the Poster Palate

After the disaster that was the poster for Unstoppable I thought it best to cleanse and look at a few posters I've seen recently that I actually like.


I am really drawn to this poster, I must admit. It doesn't tell us anything about the movie, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a small film such as arthouse audiences, and it appears to be rather simple, but I like that they've done something different and haven't simply fallen back on good ol' indie traps like big empty white space. My eyes have been glued to it for far longer than, say, this horrible poster, and that's a good thing. I'm not sure if it's a good poster, but I think I like it nonetheless.


Ya know, if I hadn't already seen the trailer for this Aussie horror flick then simply looking at the poster would have me instantly enthused. Unfortunately I have seen the trailer and so no amount of awesome Jeremy Saunders designs can make me excited for this movie. It looks terrible. The movie, not the poster. The poster is great. Yes, it's using the Grindhouse aesthetic (which is odd since the movie itself looks to be very clean, crisp and digital, not at all like a Grindhouse movie), but when a design is this fun to look at and imagine hanging up in a cinema I don't think it's worth complaining.


Not exactly a good poster, but I thought it was worth mentioning because it's not every day you see a movie poster with an erection on it. Great use of colour though.

1 comment:

Boyd said...

You'd expect Roxane Mesquida to be more prominently figured on the French poster of Kaboom, right, instead of Juno Temple -- who is great in the film but who's a total unknown in France (or, indeed, anywhere else).