Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Well Played, Poster: Let Me In

Many people expressed enthusiasm for the first Comic-Con poster for Matt Reeves' Let Me In - that'd be this one - but I felt it looked waaay too much like a book cover from The Twilight Saga. Do a Google Images search of "twilight saga book covers" and then look at the Let Me In poster and you will see what I mean. Red on black has obvious been done plenty of times before and long before The Twilight Saga, but I don't think it's a reach to guess that the makers of Let Me In were trying to play a little bit to the vampire fans that have made those books and films so successful.

The second Comic-Con poster, however, is one I can truly get behind. I am sure you have already seen it, but here at Stale Popcorn we don't throw pop culture away like so many places do. We like to savour and, occasionally, let things mull in the mind before typing our opinions out.


I think the only thing that could have improved this design is if the blood droplets were towards the top towards the neck of the snow angel, but who am I to throw suggestions like that out there? Otherwise, it's all very good. The use of ominous shadowing around the edges and the juxtaposition between the angelic image in the snow and the blood.

That title still sounds silly though.

No comments: