Sunday, May 9, 2010

Well Played, Poster: Carlos

Following Cédric Succivalli on Twitter pays dividends. Not only do you get up-to-date and breaking news on the Cannes Film Festival, but also links to things such as this poster for Olivier Assayas' Carlos from D*Hollywood.

Now, Carlos is actually a TV miniseries, but will be screening at Cannes in its entire 5.5hr version. I had no idea what Carlos was about - Assayas is a filmmaker that drifts in and out of my orbit, I imagine if more of his films were available on DVD then he might enter it permanently - but after looking at this poster I figured "something to do with terrorism." Turns out I was right. Good job, poster!

It's a corker, isn't it?


If you want to be cruel you could say it apes the poster for Terminator Salvation (although I'm sure that was ripping off something else that I can't recall), but I appreciate that a film such as Carlos can do it (and better).

4 comments:

Paul Martin said...

Nice image, not sure about the title.

Glenn Dunks said...

Yeah, the title isn't exactly evocative, is it?

Simon said...

I hate when they name something the first name of its protagonist. I did a whole rant n it and everything.

That said, awesome poster. They burn each other out.

Paul Martin said...

I don't mind the grenade, but the style of the font itself is a bit shitty - too flat, too much like M.A.S.H.