Thursday, April 22, 2010

Supernova

I've never done a poll, but I assume any film fan in Melbourne - my city - loves Cinema Nova. They may not have the ultra hardcore arthouse vibe like The Lumiere did (it has since closed down), but for a place that can called a "multiplex" - they have 11 screens with more being built at the moment - it has such a wonderful selection of films on play including mainstream hits, popular arthouse fare, one-screen wonders (lest we forget The Jammed began its run there) and even popular cult sessions of films like The Room, which is soon to end its three month engagement as the establishment.

One of the great things about the place are the regular Q&As that are held there. I've had the pleasure of attending a few of them, but one I didn't get to see was the recent Q&A for Accidents Happen, a new Aussie film that was released yesterday. Director Andrew Lancaster and star Geena Davis were here for the release and they sat down with an audience at Nova. For the first time though a video of the event has been released onto YouTube and I think this is a great idea. So many great directors and actors sweep through their doors - Jane Campion was there at Christmas for instance - and it's great to hear them talk. Of course, the clip below has been edited down, but that's what you get for not paying $20 or so to see them in person. I hope they do more of these in the future.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I was there and it was great to see her and Andrew talk with Thomas for about half an hour about the film and her career. Definitely a great day out. And the film is great. Check out my review here: http://filmblerg.com/2010/04/20/accidents-happen/

Mickche said...

I'd love to have a place like that close to me, and see small films like The Jammed. Sounds fantastic.
The indie cinemas where i live only show the general limited releases and nothing much else like The Jammed. Although, they do have midnight sessions of The Room at the moment.

Paul Martin said...

Actually, not everyone loves the Nova. There are a number of criticisms, some of which I've had myself. The place has definitely evolved in terms of programming and according to Natalie Miller (I believe she's the original owner and current co-owner, someone can correct me if I'm wrong), the three new cinemas under construction are for small niche films. From memory, I think she said they will be fitted with the new generation of digital projectors.

So, in spite of past criticisms I have grown to respect the Nova for its support of small films, short-duration screenings, Q&As and other special events.

richardwatts said...

I have had some major issues with the Nova in the past, mostly to do with projection and sound issues over the years. Indeed, things got so bad there a while back that I accually stopped attending screenings at the Nova for a while...