Wednesday, April 7, 2010

An Open Letter to Steve Carell

Dear Steve,

I like you! I really do. I think you're very funny. You're even funny - minus the "very" adjective - in duds like Date Night and... well, I've skipped all your others because they looked bad. I mean, really, Evan Almighty? Yikes.

I have put up with these means to an end because I know what you can be capable of. I would have given you Alan Arkin's Best Supporting Actor Academy Award statue for Little Miss Sunshine since you were so very good in that. I cannot, however, continue to support you (and by support I mean "sit around patiently until you may another good movie because there's no way I'm paying $17 for Dan in Real Life", ya know?) if you keep making movies like...


...Dinner for Shmucks.

What the hell is this?

I am not kidding when I say this looks like an abomination. I had never heard of this movie until just today and that goofy look on Carell's face (next to Paul Rudd's almost-as-equally-tired straight man performance, naturally) sent shivers up my spine. And then I watched the trailer (below). Oh my. It's like The Dinner Game with Carell playing someone out of The Master of Disguise. My patience has, I think, worn too thin for this rubbish. Now Carell seems to have fallen into flat out terrible performance mode. No longer quietly acceptable in movies that range from disappointing to mediocre, but now looking as if he is terrible in movies that are just as terrible.



If I had to find one positive then, I guess, I could say Zach Galifianakis looks like he's having fun? So, Steve, I'm sick of you right now. Do something different to impress me again, please. I'm begging you. If you do I might just forget you made this.

Best regards,

Glenn.

PS; Don't think I'm giving you a free pass either, Mr Rudd. I caught wise to you a while ago, but playing the straight man doesn't accrue as much disdain as playing a bumbling dolt in every movie.

PPS; At least they managed to create a movie poster that listed the cast names on the right side. So hurray for that!

5 comments:

Paul Martin said...

It's obviously a Hollywood remake of The Dinner Game, one of the best French farces of all time. But this looks utter shite - what an abomination.

Glenn Dunks said...

Aah, yes, The Dinner Game not The Dinner Guest. My mistake. I liked that movie, but not excessively so. I can see why America would want to remake it, but why into something as classless and repulsive as this?

Joel said...

The trailer does a good job of making the 'plot' pretty incomprehensible, but with Kristen Schaal and Andrea Savage in there Ill at least give it a dvd viewing.

Glenn Dunks said...

Oh yes! I meant to mention Kristen Schaal, but totally forgot since she was towards the start and I think by the end of it I was in such a state of disbelief that I'd already forgotten about her.

RC said...

you've got to be kidding, that's crazy!!!!

I agree - how can he keep on making the same type of movies and occassionally be a fresh performer.