Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Design of a Decade: The Greatest Hits of the '00s

Welcome to my little show. So glad you could join me.

Sure, it's April and you are most certainly sick and tired of all "best of the '00s" countdowns, but I so wanted to do one and being Australian meant that only now could I actually complete it and be somewhat happy with the end product. I decided to switch it up, however, and not do the stock standard list of my favourite movies from 2000-2009.

I have decided to strip down the films and instead count down the people, the artists, the performers, the trends, scenes, dialogue and various miscellaneous moments that I have taken away from the 1000+ movies that I saw from the recently gone decade. The title of this feature, "Design of a Decade", is - yes - stolen from Janet Jackson's greatest hits album of the 1990s, but that's how I feel about this list. It's a "greatest hits" of the '00s. There was much to hail about these past ten years, but this is a list of my absolute top notch favourite things. It's like a Julie Andrews showtune, but longer (and we all know how long The Sound of Music is!) and sexier and with fewer children wearing smocks made from curtain material.

Some rules obviously apply:

1. No films in their entirety, otherwise I might as well just do the entire project as a list of my favourite movies. No, instead what are eligible are the performances and the technical achievements and even the individual moments frozen in time. Example, simply listing Mulholland Drive (2001) is strictly forbidden, but you could very well see Naomi Watts' performance, Angelo Badalementi's score and the famed "Club Silencio" scene each receive their own placement on the countdown.

2. Only three slots on the countdown per film. To use Mulholland Drive again as an example, I could use those three "moments" (Watts' performance, the score and the "Club Silencio" sequence), but no more. Otherwise the entire countdown would be made up of the same five or so movies when the reason for doing the countdown in this method is to switch it up and to really pin point the specific articles that made this decade memorable. I would, however, we allowed to include those three selections and "David Lynch" as a broad "person of the decade" selection because his rank would be for everything he turned in throughout the decade.

I hope this is making sense!

3. If an actor is listed as a decade-spanning listing then individual performances are ineligible. Again, for instance, I could not rank Naomi Watts' singular Mulholland Drive performance if I have ranked Naomi Watts is a decade-spanning ranking. There are some people who had great decades, and some who had just one or two truly stellar moments and I am intriguing myself (and hopefully you, the reader) by seeing how I manage to weigh and balance it all.

4. Only movies released between the years 2000 and 2009 are eligible. For instance, I saw my favourite film of all time, Bob Fosse's All That Jazz, on the big screen several years ago and while it ranks incredibly high as truly marvellous cinema experience for me it is ineligible.

5. Only the movies and the people who made them can place. Favourite Oscar wins are a no-no, same goes for TV (sorry Angels in America). And while they classify as movies, most definitely, I decided to exclude I'm the One That I Want and Notorious C.H.O. since that would be six slots right there and I felt a bit bad. You'll pick up on my own bending of the rules, surely, as we progress.

Naturally, doing a countdown of this nature means that some truly great movies will be absent and some truly terrible ones will rank. While it's true that I adore movies such as Ghost World, One Day in September, City of God, Matchstick Men and many, many others, something had to give and unfortunately when I look back at those movies they are more a brilliant whole than individual memorable pieces. If you follow my meaning.

We start the countdown tomorrow and it will probably be done in five stages. First part will include Swedish vampires, comedians, sexy beasts, fat girls, robots on fire and one legally blonde performance. I hope you'll join me. If you don't, Miranda Priestly will be very upset with you.

That's all... for now.


J.D. said...

Oh, wow. This could be very, very brilliant. I CANNOT WAIT. :)

Glenn Dunks said...

It will be very, very, very brilliant.

Dame James said...

I've never seen anyone's best of the decade list have rules before. I'm definitely intrigued!

Popcorn and Cigarettes said...

I'm so excited! I can't wait either!

NicksFlickPicks said...

I admit I hadn't clocked that you were doing this till the link at Nathaniel's blog. Just reading the rules, and after a brief skim of your front page, I'm so excited to keep reading! Fabulous idea.