Sunday, April 4, 2010

Art Opening

It's not too often that you see me openly ask - nay, demand - you wonderful readers to go read somebody else, but I want you to do just that. Today, I discovered a fantastic site called Art of the Title Sequence that looks at the opening (and occasionally closing) credit sequences of films. It's a wonderful site and I've spent over and hour just now perusing through the back catalogue of entries. There are so many wonderful discussions to be had as well as interviews with designers, DVD commentary quotes and so on.

Indeed the art of the opening credits sequence is a dying one. How man truly memorable ones from the last decade can you truly name? I'm thinking Catch Me If You Can, Dawn of the Dead, Cache, This is England, Panic Room, Mulholland Drive, Willard, Fantastic Mr Fox, Bad Education, The Hills Have Eyes... other than that I can't think of many that have the immediateness of, say, Taxi Driver, Lost Highway or William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet. In fact, I'm almost tempted to say that TV has produced better opening credits sequences this decade than film, but I haven't seen enough of them to truly tell. Needless to say, Six Feet Under looks down on all of them with contempt.

Anyway, do click over to Art of the Title Sequence and feast your eyes. You've surely been shoving your gob full of chocolate this weekend so why not give your eyes something to gnaw on?

No comments: