Tuesday, March 2, 2010

When Bad Posters Strike: After.Life

I should be used to this by now, I really should, but when I looked at this newly released poster for After Life I actually said (yelled, as the caps indicate) out loud "THAT IS NOT JUSTIN LONG! Oh..." and then I realised what was happening. However, this time it feels even more annoying since they have gone to the effort to split Ricci/Neeson/Long into separate individual panels and yet they still can't get their names aligned. And, no offence to Justin Long, but anybody who thinks he is a bigger name than Liam Neeson needs to be get their head examined. Oy...


Although I am also getting quite a chuckle out of Liam Neeson's creepy floating head that's been haphazardly attached to that doctor's body in the bottom half of the poster. Sorry poster designer, but that is not Liam Neeson standing there!

But seriously, when this is the best you can do when your movie is about "a young woman caught between life and death and a funeral director who appears to have the gift of transitioning the dead," then you know you're in trouble!

4 comments:

Matt Riviera said...

Wow, floating head very (unintentionally) scary! What a terrible poster.

As for the order (and size) of the actors' names on posters, it's entirely determined by contracts with agents and such, a constraint the designer has to obey. Sometimes the designer can match the heads to the names, but it's easy to understand why that can't always take precedence over other graphic design priorities.

gmcfly said...

This is one thing that bothers me about movie posters. The order of names has to do with who has top billing, I think.

It's like the Bodyguard poster: http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/images/album-Various-Artists-The-Bodyguard-Original-Soundtrack-Album.jpg

Anonymous said...

It to me is boring.

Glenn Dunks said...

Matt, Oh I am very much aware that that is the case, but that doesn't stop it being annoying and looking silly.