Sunday, March 7, 2010

Welcome to the Gabby-house

We love Gabourey "Gabby" Sidibe around here (by "we" I mean me, and by "around here" I mean on the blog) and if there's one person who has amassed more goodwill than Sandra Bullock throughout this Oscar season it is Gabby. During her acceptance speech for Best Actress at the Independent Spirit Awards for her role in Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire she said this (courtesy The Film Experience's live-blogging of the awards) and it does not do anything but amaze me.

My mom used to pay me $2 a day to go to school and I used to ride by an independent movie theater. I saved up my money for a week so I could see Welcome to the Dollhouse. And that's the first film I saw where I thought... I could do that. So to be corny I'll say that is perhaps when my independent spirit was born. Now I am officially corny.

That is amazing. Gabby Sidibe saw Welcome to the Dollhouse! I wouldn't have expected that, but then again I haven't gotten a lot of what I expected from Gabourey, which is partially why she's been so entertaining to watch this season (plus, she gives an incredible Oscar-worthy performance). Wienerdog has a fan in Claireece "Precious" Jones. Isn't that just made in socially outcast movie heroine heaven?

The awards are set to start in less than 30minutes and I'm already live-tweeting up a storm so be sure to click on over.

No comments: