Monday, March 1, 2010

Sexy Swan

I hadn't seen this behind-the-scenes photo from the set of Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan until today at Awards Daily. It's of stars Natalie Portman and Vincent Cassel (be still my heart.) The film is one of my most anticipated and I hope it comes out this year instead of forcing us to wait until 2011.

Black Swan also stars Mila Kunis, Barbara Hershey and Winona Ryder (!!!) and I was so glad when this was announced as Aronofsky's follow-up to The Wrestler. I was one of the few who was a bit disappointed by The Wrestler as I felt Aronofsky was reigning himself in to a safer level instead of baring everything on a tightrope like he had done with his three prior movies (Pi, Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain). I was worried Aronofsky would continue on that path - granted, a path that many liked very much - but he thankfully chose this very-genre piece and I can't be more happy.

And something you might not expect from the director of The Wrestler.

Medavoy: Yeah, going from a wrestler to a dancer is pretty interesting. And examining that world with a psychological thriller set in that world.

Are you set for a fall release?

Fischer: I don’t think Fox has set the release date yet, Fox Searchlight. But I would expect it’ll be sometime in the fall.

I imagine it will be like Centre Stage, but the young ingenue will be a pill-popping addict who experiences hallucinations on stage to the music of Jamiroquai. Or maybe just Suspiria, but without all the barbed wire and witches (or whatever the end of that movie was all about). No matter what it's like, I just hope Portman's character is from "the wrong side of the tracks". You can be a dance movie and not have a lead character from the wrong side of the tracks!

1 comment:

W.R. said...

One of my most eagerly awaited as well. That cast list is divine. It'll be interesting to see how Kunis holds up in a dramatic thriller role. What were your thoughts on 'Centre Stage'?