Friday, February 12, 2010

Empire Records, Open 'til Midnight

I came across Allan Moyle's cult classic Empire Records on Foxtel today and oh what a wonderful thing it was. It has been a few years since I last saw it, and an year since I last blogged about it. Empire Records is just one of those movies that I saw in my impressionable youth and have never forgotten. That it stars names like Anthony LaPaglia, Renee Zellweger (with eyes and a human voice, unlike today), Liv Tyler and some others, that would go on to varying levels of success, just helps the film leave its stamp on '90s pop culture.

Sample trivia question: What was the first movie in which Renee Zellweger sang? That'd be Empire Records, not Chicago seven years later like many suspect.


As I sat down and watched the movie again today I was reminded of the big huge movie crush that I had on Johnny Whitworth's "AJ". In his grungy jeans, that grey sweater/cardy thing, checkered tee and white singlet combo with that long hair that just... *sigh*. He was the embodiment, for me, of that post-grunge/alt rock aesthetic. I was curious to see if he had fallen into that terrible trap that many cinematic crushes do and had grown up to become less than their younger self would have implied. I was happy to discover that Whitworth had indeed grown into a very handsome man. The crush continues, I guess.



Let us witness. These images come from the red carpet of 3:10 to Yuma, which he was in. Just look at him. Now he may not have the career of Renee Z, but I think we can all attest that time has treated Mr Whitworth here far better than Bridget Jones herself, yes?



My favourite scene from the movie though is this one below because it features Robin Tunney's wonderful God line. I love her in this movie something chronic. I would totally nominate her for Best Supporting Actress in my own little movie universe.


I ♥ Empire Records.

1 comment:

Joe Reid said...

I absolutely adore this movie and always have. Sinead O'Rebellion for always!