Wednesday, January 6, 2010

At the Ballet

I watched Every Little Step last night, and what a wonderful movie it is. A documentary that follows the casting and production of the 2006 revival of A Chorus Line. Acting as a platform of sorts for all the talented people involved in the production for people who don't have the pleasure of living in New York City.

The film works wonderfully in making an audience pick their favourites and follow them throughout the process as you hope that they make it. Of course, some people will already know the outcome of the more edge-of-your-seat moments such as the casting of characters like Sheila and Val. Expertly edited, balancing archive footage, auditions, talking heads, testimonials, music and dance plus some hilarious fly-on-the-wall moments such as when Chryssie Whitehead keeps hitting the cameraman. My favourite moment was, however, a moment involving my favourite A Chorus Line song, "At the Ballet", when performer Mara Davi breaks out one helluva key change after a succession of screechers before her. Sublime. A-


Matt Riviera said...

I've seen it 3 times already. Total guilty pleasure. And I cry every time too.

Jetsetting Joyce (MEL: HOT OR NOT) said...

I really loved this film - I felt so badly for the people who tried so hard and didn't make it, and bawled!

Jetsetting Joyce

Glenn Dunks said...

Matt, I think calling it a "guilty pleasure" is a bit wrong. I mean, the film is very much a good movie. It's even on the Academy shortlist for Best Documentary (when stuff like Capitalism was not).