Monday, December 21, 2009

Warning: This Movie is Probably "Indie" and "Quirky", Part 2

Last week I showed you the new poster for a movie called According to Greta. I wrote this:

The poster uses the time honoured tradition of quirky indie movies and has gone with a notepad hand-drawn motif so I can't help but assume that it is indeed quirky and indie. It's probably got "jokes that mask a hidden sadness" and "tells truths that we don't want to admit". etc.

It also stars Hilary Duff. Say wha...?

I had never heard of that According to Greta movie before, despite actually being released on DVD here in late November, which says a lot. Flash forward to a week later and I now bring you the poster for a movie called Stay Cool, another movie I had never heard of until I saw this.


As you can see, the poster uses the time honoured tradition of quirky indie movies and has gone with a notepad hand-drawn motif so I can't help but assume that it is indeed quirky and indie. It's probably got "jokes that mask a hidden sadness" and "tells truths that we don't want to admit". etc.

It also stars Hilary Duff. Say wha...?

3 comments:

Paul Martin said...

I know I'm stating the obvious, but the whole point of quirky indie comedy was that it was something new, something different. But when 1000 films all do the same thing, it's no longer funny, no matter how quirky or indie it is.

Jose said...

Never expected more from Duff, but I hate to think this is what Winona's career has come to...
She was pretty bad in "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee" where she sported that same haircut and none of the chops that made her so good in the early 90's.

Glenn Dunks said...

Paul, you're preachin' to the choir, buddy!

Because most things in life can be turned back to Madonna, it's like the line in "Sorry" - "I've heard it all before". I've had enough quirky views of suburbia featuring people that wouldn't exist in the real world without being seen as social lepers who go on some grand life-changing road trip or family dinner to deal with their issues that are generally not worthy enough for a movie.