Tuesday, December 22, 2009

RIP Brittany Murphy

I'm not going to write much about Brittany Murphy because, unlike some of the others who have passed this year, I didn't have that much of a recurring love for Brittany Murphy. It's been sad over the last few years to watch her vanish despite being genuinely talented. It's been sort of like Lindsay Lohan, but less in the open, you know? Of course I'll always love her Tai from Clueless ("you're a virgin who can't drive!") and I remember when her catchphrase from Don't Say a Word - "I'll never tell... anyofyou" becoming quite popular in the school yard.

However, perhaps the most disappointing aspect of Murphy's passing is the loss of her musical side. Not many people know that she had a #1 hit on the Billboard dance charts with her Paul Oakenfold collaboration, "Faster Kill Pussycat". She did and it's a great song (from a dreadful album, it must be said). And then there was her work in George Miller's penguin musical Happy Feet. She was far and away the start of that movie and she proved her musical chops on the numbers "Boogie Wonderland" and, my personal favourite from the film, "Somebody to Love".

I've included both below so do watch. Murphy was, apparently, set to return to Australia to record her vocals for Happy Feet 2, so it's a shame we won't be able to hear any more of that gorgeous voice.

No comments: