Tuesday, November 10, 2009

When Bad Posters Strike: Extraordinary Measures

I actually feel a bit bad about this one.

Isn't that pathetic? It's like looking at a sad puppy. You can clearly tell that this is not what director Tom Vaughan had in mind. I'm sure he saw this poster and just slumped himself down into his chair and had a cry. "This? This is all they could come up with?"

Although perhaps it is Brendan Fraser who should be crying himself into a stupour after looking at the poster. I think it's understandable that Fraser has put on a few pounds since his days of swinging on vines and running around Egypt, but were the designers not able to photoshop his face a little bit. He looks so old and tired and someone who befriends "Krispy Kreme" on Facebook(!). He actually almost sorta looks like a constipated Al Gore so I'm going to quickly move on because the prospect of thinking about Al Gore (especially a constipated Al Gore) when it's not absolutely necessary is horrifying.

Hi Harrison Ford!

That's pretty much all I have to say on that matter since Ford is clearly disinterested so why should I bother?

I'm also not going to get in to the weird structure they have around the shoulder area because I really don't know what's going on there. Is this really the best they could do though? Granted, I don't know how one would make the plot description of Extraordinary Measures into a captivating poster, but it sure as hell wouldn't be this. When I did a bit research I was completely surprised to discover this film is about scientists who discover the cure for a rare genetic disorder. I figured it was about lawyers and that Ford was on the last week of his job before retiring and has to show and has to show the cocky new guy about the real value of the law. Or somethin' somethin'.

I don't feel so bad now talking about how bad this poster is. It's awful!


Gerard said...

I can't decide what's worse: the title or the poster...

Neel Mehta said...

Two questions:

1. Why the hell does Brendan Fraser get top billing?

2. Why the hell does Harrison Ford look like he's invisible?