Wednesday, November 25, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 26/11/09

Antichrist - Lars Von Trier's latest effort to stick it to David Stratton is Antichrist. Is it strange that the review of this movie on At the Movies is probably my most anticipated bit of entertainment this whole week? Their Twitter feed (@abcatthemovies) tells us to "expect fireworks!" Yeehaw!

Nevertheless, I think it's quite great - certainly ballsy, that's for sure - and hope people around the country (it's screening in Sydney and Melbourne only as far as I am aware) get to see it soon. By the way, I love that the Australian movie poster (to the left) by Jeremy Saunders ended up going viral all over the Internet.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - I've heard it's quite good, will probably get an Oscar nomination and it does feature the voice of my beloved Anna Faris, but I'm going to have to skip this one.

Cold Souls - Paul Giamatti stars as Paul Giamatti in this movie about a new scientific procedure that can store a person's soul. I imagine debut feature director Sophia Barthes was going for an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind thing, but couldn't quite pull of that's movie's tricky success. Still, I've heard it's quite good so maybe worth a spin on DVD?

The Invention of Lying - Ricky Gervais, Jennifer Garner, Tina Fey, Jeffrey Tambor and Fionnula Flanigan make up a great cast. Screams DVD to me, but then I've really been a huge fan of Gervais. Make of that what you will.

The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls - I'm so glad a movie like this can find a release here in Australia. This New Zealand documentary follows the Topp Twins, gay rights activists and popular entertainers in their home country of Enzed, has gotten some smashing reviews.

DVD Releases for the Week 26/11/09

Bastardy - Local documentary, nominated for Best Documentary at the AFI Awards.

The Hangover - Much like Bruno a couple of weeks back, the DVD release of The Hangover (very funny, by the way) is getting the original R18+ version. An end-credits moment had to be blurred for the Australian release in order to get the less-restrictive rating in case you weren't aware. It's also available in the standard MA15+ version though.

The Proposal - Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds don't not like each other and then pretend to like each other before realising they actually like each other.

Samson & Delilah - If you didn't see it during it's hit run at cinemas or you didn't watch it when it aired on TV last Sunday night (to around 700,000 viewers, which is great!) then now you can actually watch this great Australian film. Hailed as one of the best ever, it won a swag of awards at the IF Awards last week including Film, Director, Actor and Actress. Will probably win a bunch from AFI too. Here's hoping Oscar glory follows! The DVD includes "Making Samson & Delilah", a behind-the-scenes documentary that played at MIFF.


R-Co said...

I love Jeremy's poster for Antichrist. Love. It.

Paul Martin said...

As you know, Glenn, I'm usually don't think much about poster art, but that Saunders piece has got to be one of the best of the year. Smashing! I caught the film yesterday and neither liked nor disliked it. It's not a film one enjoys but it's certainly provocative and worth seeing.

Brenton said...

Hi Glenn,
Thanks for mentioning 'Bastardy'. I have ordered the DVD. I like documentaries. One of my favourites is 'Unfolding Florence'. Great blogsite.