Wednesday, November 18, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 19/11/09

Amreeka - I have heard such polarising thoughts on this dramady. I can't say I'm too enthused since I didn't go to any of the media screenings that I could have.

My Tehran for Sale - Opened in Adelaide last week and is starting its national roll out. This Australian/Iranian production looks really great and I can't wait to see it. Filmed in the Iran underground, it just won the IF Independent Spirit Award.

A Serious Man - I'm not really that interested in this movie other than it being a Coen Brothers film, but I guess I have to see it if it is going to be such a strong fixture of the awards season. I'm more interested in seeing A Single Man, but will either of them be as good as A Simple Plan? Har dee hah hah.

The Twilight Saga: New Moon - etc.

DVD Releases for the Week 19/11/09

Adventureland - Coming soon, Jesse Eisenberg also stars in Zombieland. Kristen Stewart in New Moon this week, too.

Fanboys - The long-delayed Star Wars comedy got a brief theatrical release earlier in the year and now goes where it belongs, DVD.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - I'm in the minority in thinking Half-Blood Prince is the weakest of the Harry Potter films since the first two Christopher Columbus-directed flicks. Basically because it doesn't stand on its own.

I never mention the copious amount of re-releases and blu ray releases that come through the tunnel because there are simply far too many of them. However, I do want to mention this one - Akira! I don't own a Blu Ray player, but if I did I would totally be upgrading my DVD for this. That movie is stunning to look at and is a very worthy addition to anybody's Blu Ray collection. Buy it! Buy it now!

No comments: