Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 12/11/09

2012 - Don't get me wrong, I want to see this, but dear god it looks sorta terrible. Doesn't it?

Amelia - This is a very bad movie.

The Boys are Back - I've attempted to sit down and write a review for Scott Hicks' latest film - and his second Aussie production in a row after Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts - a few times now, but nothing comes. It's very odd though because I genuinely liked the movie. Clive Owen and Julia Blake was wonderful, the cinematography by Greig Fraser (who is having a helluva 2009 by the way) is superb, the film is just generally very well done. So there ya go. If I don't end up writing something all proper like then that's all you'll have.

The Brothers Bloom - Sure, I could theoretically see this movie from Rian Johnson (Brick) that's been on the studio shelf for a year now or I could wait a couple of months and see an actual Wes Anderson movie.

Prime Mover - Expands this week. It's still not a good movie in the slightest.

DVD Releases for the Week 12/11/09

BrĂ¼no - Being released in its original R18+ form (it was cut down to a much more teen-friendly MA15+ for cinemas), which is very good news.

Crank: High Voltage - I never saw the original so I won't be seeing this one. Although it is another pleasant surprise to see more R18+ ratings. It's about time that useless ratings board actually realised some movies aren't meant to be seen by 12-year-olds with their mother three rows back and out of sight.

The Fox and the Child - French nature docu-drama about a fox and a child (who knew?)

Night at the Museum 2 - If you had to choose between getting your Amelia Earhart fix through Amelia at the cinema or Night at the Museum 2 on DVD, I know what I would choose: A book.

Revolver - Guy Ritchie's fourth film after Lock Stock, Snatch and Swept Away (oh yes) is finally being released here on DVD (direct-to, by the way) after initially being released in the UK in 2005. A good four years have passed, but I'm sure that hasn't wiped away the stench. I am looking forward to Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes though.

2 comments:

Guy Lodge said...

You're right that "Brothers Bloom" is an Anderson clone, except Johnson does Anderson better than Anderson does Anderson these days.

Ugh, that's a lumpy sentence.

Anyway, that's not a whole-hearted endorsement of the film, which is still pretty grating, but it's more bearable than you think. (Award-calibre costumes, too.)

richardwatts said...

'2012' is actually surprisingly fun - and nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be...