Wednesday, November 4, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 05/11/09

Capitalism: A Love Story - I just can't get excited for Michael Moore's latest, despite enjoying Sicko much more than others.

Case 39 - A new horror movie starring Renee Zellweger and Bradley Cooper that's so bad it has been on the shelf for three years. I personally loved how Margaret Pomeranz kept commenting on how weird Zellweger looked when she reviewed it on At the Movies last night, and mentioning how she "sounds as if she has a mouthful of pins".

A Christmas Carol - I wasn't even aware that Robert Zemeckis' take on Dickins' tale was out this week. I haven't seen any TV or print advertising. Where is it? I don't think I'll be seeing this at cinemas though. Unless it stars the Muppets I'm generally not interested in another telling of this story.

Genova - I don't think I've ever come across a Michael Winterbottom film that I liked so, needless to say, Genova isn't high on my list of things to see. Before you get all "what?!" at me, I haven't seen a lot of Winterbottom's stuff, but the five or so that I have indeed seen just... no, I don't even want to think about them.

The Time Travellers Wife - Eric Bana, Eric Bana's American Accent and Rachel McAdams star in this weepy book adaptation. One of them gives a bad performance.

DVD Releases for the Week 05/11/09

Crossing Over - Starring Harrison Ford, this cop movie is, I think, meant to be some sort of Crash-styled affair.

I Am Because We Are - Madonna's documentary on starving orphans (or whatever it is she's doing when she's not touring Australia).

Last Ride - Glendyn Ivin's road movie isn't good at all so I'd suggest don't bother unless you want to be miserable for the rest of the day.

Management - Was dumped in American cinemas and is going direct-to-DVD here despite starring Jennifer Aniston and Steve Zahn. I've actually heard some very good things about it so I'm looking forward to giving it a watch.

Quiet Chaos - Italian drama starring Nanni Moretti.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - I really enjoyed the original, but do I dare even watch this sequel? I'm thinking I'll give it a skip. I don't think I want to spend over two hours on something that is apparently so awful.

What Doesn't Kill You - This movie very briefly emerged during the American awards season last year, but obviously nobody else was paying attention. Goes direct-to-DVD and stars Mark Ruffalo, Ethan Hawke and Amanda Peet.

3 comments:

Guy said...

If you don't like Winterbottom to begin with, "Genova" isn't the film to convert you. Paper-thin stuff, though Colin Firth is strong in it. Interestingly, the role there is sort of a non-gay dry run for "A Single Man."

And "Management" is smart and really rather sweet. That's not just my inner Aniston fan talking -- I can admit when she's in a turd, but this deserved better.

Anonymous said...

What is everyone's problem with Last Ride?!! I thought it was an amazing, beguiling, beautifully shot, and brilliantly acted character study that avoided cliché and a happy Hollywood ending. A+!!!

Glenn Dunks said...

Anon, you read my review to see my issues with it. Although you say it avoided cliche? That movie was a cliche through and through. A cliche in regards to Aussie cinema, anyway.